Will the Lightning port go bye bye?

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
Seeing as Apple is adopting wireless charging do you forsee a day when the iPhone will no longer have any ports?

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
I think most devices even some remote controls have some sort of service port... on the other hand i bet apple would like to improve its water resistance rating....

chfilm

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2012
Germany
Not in the near future my guess, just alone for in the car.. I hope for usb c as an intermediary solution.

Vundu

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Why does everyone want USB-C? Isn’t the port bigger?

Surely everyone has an abundance of lightning cables by now.

danmart

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Yes, and that’s why Apple will never adopt it for iPhone in my opinion.

The lightning port will be around for 4-5 years yet, in my opinion. By then there should be enough cars with wireless CarPlay, for example.

Though a physical port is still very useful in case you need to recover a badly crashed device.

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL
Yes, and that’s why Apple will never adopt it for iPhone in my opinion.

The lightning port will be around for 4-5 years yet, in my opinion. By then there should be enough cars with wireless CarPlay, for example.

Though a physical port is still very useful in case you need to recover a badly crashed device.
If it gets to a point where I have to look at CarPlay as a requirement for a car that I buy, then I'll switch to Android.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC

Surely everyone has an abundance of lightning cables by now.
People had an abundance of 30-pin cables too.

And 30-pin speaker docks!!! Actual hardware! :p

I understand what you're saying though.

But just imagine nearly everything using one type of plug. Laptops and phones/tablets sharing the same cables and chargers. And battery packs too. It would be a dream.

USB-C could finally make that dream a reality.

So I'd be willing to replace a few Lightning cables if my most important devices could use the same charger and cables.

I'd forget about Lightning cables faster than I forgot about 30-pin cables. :)

And yes... USB-C ports are slightly bigger. But the advantages I listed above would be worth it to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: praterkeith