Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anirudh

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2008
India
Yeah, I got my Macbook Air and iPhone from them. I was surprised to see so many people buying there. Now I know why there are so few in the Apple Stores :D

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Thanks guys. Ordered the Mini with 2gb. Easy to upgrade if it seems to be running slow. Will post back when I try it for a bit.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Is that the official line from Apple or do you have the power of foresight....or more likely you're just spouting rubbish.

The minimum ram requirement tends to go up with each release. By the lowest air, I was referring to the 2GB model, meaning if the minimum ram requirement goes up at all, that one will not be officially supported (given the soldered in ram). There's no need to be hateful about it:p.

cplush

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
FLORIDA
Since Nov I have switched my laptop to an Air, my wife's too and my daughter to an iMac. Love Macs completely and wanted to get one for my Dad.

He does

email
surfing
youtube etc
Word/Excel

Would the lowest end be enough? The SSD would be fine, as all his stuff is hardly 5 gb, but would the RAM of 2gb be OK for Lion?

He will use it with an external monitor.

this is exactly what my dad does with laptops. i recently got him an 11 in with 4 gigs RAM and the 128 SSD. the 4 gig's of RAM will help "future proof" the device more than 2 gigs, and depending on how well he does quitting app's also help with system speed. my dad never quits apps so he always has like 10-15 running on his machine. loves it so far.

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
The minimum ram requirement tends to go up with each release. By the lowest air, I was referring to the 2GB model, meaning if the minimum ram requirement goes up at all, that one will not be officially supported (given the soldered in ram). There's no need to be hateful about it:p.

I'm not being hateful, i'm just pointing out that without any meaningful evidence to back up what you're saying i.e. nobody has any idea what the next release of OSX will require in terms of RAM (it may be less for all you know), then it's not a very helpful statement.

I really don't understand what people's obsession with RAM is, especially given how the MBA doesn't just require physical RAM to run, it also uses the SSD.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Since Nov I have switched my laptop to an Air, my wife's too and my daughter to an iMac. Love Macs completely and wanted to get one for my Dad.

He does

email
surfing
youtube etc
Word/Excel

Would the lowest end be enough? The SSD would be fine, as all his stuff is hardly 5 gb, but would the RAM of 2gb be OK for Lion?

He will use it with an external monitor.

My '06 MacBook would be fine for this usage, let alone a brand new Air or Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.