Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the Macbook Air be updated in June?

• Yes it's almost 100% sure

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • Probably but who knows

Votes: 54 35.3%
  • Maybe, maybe not. Anything could happen.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • No it will not happen in June, it will be later.

Votes: 38 24.8%

• Total voters

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Never going to fit in the air. They couldn't even fit one in the 13 inch Macbook pro.

They couldn't fit one or they didn't include one? BIG DIFFERENCE!

In reality, they fit a ThunderBolt chip which is the same difference.

If Apple wants to, it can easily include a discrete GPU. Especially since Apple has switched to AMD, they have 7W discrete GPUs that would rock the Macs with slightly more power requirements from even better GPUs. The big thing is costs, and Apple could have dropped the ancient SuperDrive from the 13" MBP to put a high-end AMD discrete GPU if they wanted... that takes a lot of space.

The big thing is energy requirements though, and with ULV Sandy Bridge CPUs overclocked with a disabled IGP they could make it possible. There was a rumor last year that this is exactly what is happening. AMD's low end discrete GPUs paired with a ULV SB CPU overclocked as essentially using all power for CPU and none reserved for the IGP would make a heck of an MBA.

The thing is people want to assume that Apple has to do the same thing with the 13" MBA as they did with the 13" MBP, but that just isn't a requirement. The big difference is the MBA currently uses a low voltage CPU. In LV and ULV SB CPUs the IGPs are running at worse than 1/2 of the standard voltage CPUs. That really creates a problem in my mind. It is possible that Apple could use LV in the 11" MBA and standard voltage in the 13" MBA as that would make the situation better, and it wouldn't be too far over the current TDP used.

There are better solutions from AMD, and I wouldn't discount them in the MBA. It needs something different if it cannot use a standard voltage CPU. Sandy Bridge isn't the answer. I think Ivy Bridge will at least be closer to the Nvidia 320m, but it's a year off. There have been rumors about an AMD CPU in low end Macs, and there is a possibility that Apple can use a discrete GPU in the MBA. There are many possibilities, but Ivy Bridge is the most realistic and in my opinion Sandy Bridge is more realistic than Arrandale but still a disappointment compared to C2D and Nvidia 320m pairing.

I think Apple sells nearly as many MBAs by keeping C2D and Nvidia 320m as they would by ruining it with SB and potentially damaging the brand as they have before when using an Intel IGP.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
They couldn't fit one or they didn't include one? BIG DIFFERENCE!

In reality, they fit a ThunderBolt chip which is the same difference.

If Apple wants to, it can easily include a discrete GPU. Especially since Apple has switched to AMD, they have 7W discrete GPUs that would rock the Macs with slightly more power requirements from even better GPUs. The big thing is costs, and Apple could have dropped the ancient SuperDrive from the 13" MBP to put a high-end AMD discrete GPU if they wanted... that takes a lot of space.

The big thing is energy requirements though, and with ULV Sandy Bridge CPUs overclocked with a disabled IGP they could make it possible. There was a rumor last year that this is exactly what is happening. AMD's low end discrete GPUs paired with a ULV SB CPU overclocked as essentially using all power for CPU and none reserved for the IGP would make a heck of an MBA.

The thing is people want to assume that Apple has to do the same thing with the 13" MBA as they did with the 13" MBP, but that just isn't a requirement. The big difference is the MBA currently uses a low voltage CPU. In LV and ULV SB CPUs the IGPs are running at worse than 1/2 of the standard voltage CPUs. That really creates a problem in my mind. It is possible that Apple could use LV in the 11" MBA and standard voltage in the 13" MBA as that would make the situation better, and it wouldn't be too far over the current TDP used.

There are better solutions from AMD, and I wouldn't discount them in the MBA. It needs something different if it cannot use a standard voltage CPU. Sandy Bridge isn't the answer. I think Ivy Bridge will at least be closer to the Nvidia 320m, but it's a year off. There have been rumors about an AMD CPU in low end Macs, and there is a possibility that Apple can use a discrete GPU in the MBA. There are many possibilities, but Ivy Bridge is the most realistic and in my opinion Sandy Bridge is more realistic than Arrandale but still a disappointment compared to C2D and Nvidia 320m pairing.

I think Apple sells nearly as many MBAs by keeping C2D and Nvidia 320m as they would by ruining it with SB and potentially damaging the brand as they have before when using an Intel IGP.

Thunderbolt isn't a chip. It's a PCI connector to the proc.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.

Correct, Thunderbolt is a chip and a port! It doesn't work without the chip.

Looks like the user you quoted has never looked at a photo of the new MBP logic boards.

Thunderbolt is great, but it takes a lot of space which is a problem when space is limited especially in computers like the MBA. I think the MBA gets Thunderbolt anyway, and it could still get a discrete GPU if Apple wanted to include one.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
what spec on your air?

Base 13" but with 4GB RAM. For details on my comment about it staying cool, I believe it is the best 'bedtop' computer ever - sitting right now with my '08 15" MBP on the bed, just browsing, the surface is noticeably warm towards the back left, and the underside is as well. That just doesn't occur with the MBA.

Playing StarCraft II the two machines perform about the same in terms of framerate - 256MB 320M ≅ 512MB 8600GT! ~ 20FPS medium settings. In terms of heat it is day and night. The keyboard on the '08 MBP becomes uncomfortably hot to type on, and the back left and underside get really hot also. On the MBA I barely notice a change, AND the fans turn off within seconds of exiting and everything is back to cool. So impressed!

I'm really liking these threads, making investment in the late '10 MBA seem all the better :). Here's looking forward to IB and whatever they can do with GPU by then!

Philflow

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2008
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...n_of_thunderbolt_macbook_airs_next_month.html

Specifically, he said the new models will "go to mass production in late May," which corroborates an earlier report that cited reliable sources as saying Apple would be ready to publicly announce and ship to consumers MacBook Airs with Sandy Bridge processors during following month of June.

A production ramp in late May would set the stage for a June launch for the new MacBook Airs, a timeframe that had been rumored several months ago.

Seems more likely now.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Kuo tells AppleInsider that his latest round of checks with suppliers and system builders in the region reveals that MacBook Air shipments are set to rebound during the current calendar quarter, fueled by an upgrade to Intel's latest Sandy Bridge microprocessors, integrated Intel graphics, and the expected adoption of the new Thunderbolt high-speed I/O technology that made its debut on MacBook Pros earlier this year.

=[ definately a no go for me

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Doubt it. Will keep my 2010 MBA till ivy bridge

same here. i hope to get another year out of mine...

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
That is actually why i think it WILL be updated. College kids may be more aware of the intel marketing message and core vs i5/i7 kind of thing. I think without a MBA update, the latest MBPs (specifically the 13 inch... those are EVERYWHERE on college campuses right now) would look like the better buy.

Traditionally the MBA hasn't been aimed at students, but a June SandyBridge update would really start to change that. So why would Apple want to change that? Because with all the proprietary pieces in the MBA, and the component list, I reckon the MBA is much higher margin for them than the MBP. Furthermore, Apple loves proprietary hardware and would love for people to be locked up and forced to buy a whole new machine just to upgrade their ram or storage space.

All that said, i am biased because i am really hoping for a June update because I need to buy a computer and have been holding out. Everyone is biased though. It seems as though a lot of people on here that say sandybridge is crap, and ivy bridge ftw or haswell or rockwell ftw already bought a MBA and are looking for reasons why the update won't be better than their current machines.

The new Air, despite intel graphics, will be awesome in the sublime, your wait will be warranted.

Nice post by the way. I've just seen this new post rating system (I didn't "rate"), but your post deserves 5 stars. Hope you can get the new Air, it'll be a killer Air and nicely future proof.

HelloPanda

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I'm holding out for the MBA refresh, strongly considering using it as my only computer. I need something that will last a few years, I think SB is the way to go.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I am happy the update is coming so soon. I purchased my MBA 13 1.86 4GB 2 months ago. Apple progress in updating their product gives me confidence that I am buying a device that is top ranked in the market at that time. Even though it will be better in 8 weeks or 8 months. It does not mean my machine is outdated or not worthy. It will still run as fast and smart as it did 36 months from now as it does today.

I purchased a iMac7,1 and 6 weeks later they introduced the iMac8. My iMac has seen many revisions since then but my machine still is as fast as the day I took it out of the box. When I do decide to replace it with better graphics, better screen, faster CPU, I know I can't miss with Apple being on top of the game. And I also know that not to blink, because they will keep coming with better product in a short time.:apple::cool:

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
So why would Apple want to change that? Because with all the proprietary pieces in the MBA, and the component list, I reckon the MBA is much higher margin for them than the MBP. Furthermore, Apple loves proprietary hardware and would love for people to be locked up and forced to buy a whole new machine just to upgrade their ram or storage space.

Unless I am mistaken, production of the core 2 duo has been discontinued by Intel or is at least scheduled to be discontinued. If I remember correctly, the reason Apple got such a great deal on these processors is specifically because they were being end-of-life'd.

Ridley

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Unless I am mistaken, production of the core 2 duo has been discontinued by Intel or is at least scheduled to be discontinued. If I remember correctly, the reason Apple got such a great deal on these processors is specifically because they were being end-of-life'd.

Wow, that is interesting, I was not aware. Depending on what that schedule looks like it might necessitate a chip upgrade before ivy bridge. I have seen a number of people that think SB will be skipped all together. If you can find more info that could be useful. Thanks! It also means that a SB Air could be a bit more expensive... which might also mean that they don't upgrade SSD capacities. haha this is all total speculation here, i'm just sayin.

Darklandman

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
Unforunately i think it's more than likely that Apple will use SB with intel IGP because, there would not be enough space for SB Proccessor, AMD Discreet and thunderbolt chip :( (which will probarbly feature in all refreshed macs from now on). But if a reasonable thunderbolt external graphics card solution becomes available then it would make the air an awesome machine. Just plug in the thunderbolt cable and you have a highend GPU ,external monitor and keyboard/mouse ready to place Crysis 2 at max:D. This would be the perfect solution for me.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004
Apple would never do this. They use the back to school promotion to get rid of old inventory before an update. They dont need a promotion to sell new products.

The BTS Promo is to clear out old iPods before the Annual September iPod event.

Who's to say the BTS Promo is even gonna happen this year? If the September event is now an iPhone 5 event - are there even gonna be new iPod Touches in Sept? No-one knows.

Predicting a MBA refresh via the BTS Promo isn't reliable, I'd say.

What I would not be able to tolerate is a major step backwards in the GPU.

Ivy Bridge's GPU ought to be close to the current MBA GPU. That is what I will be waiting for.

Two questions:

1. Other than gaming, what is something that the SB IGP can't do that the 320m can? The LV SB IGP plays 1080p flash, and anything non-gaming at it.

2. Say Apple waits for Ivy Bridge - that IGP will only *match* the 320m. And only maybe. It's a theoretical chip that doesn't really exist yet. What if it doesn't match the 320m? Should Apple wait another 12 months to update the laptop, and keep C2D around into 2013 just to keep the 320m?

I love the 320m just as much as anyone. Great little chip. I wish Nvidia could still make those kind of chips. But they can't. And C2D can't stick around forever, waiting for Intel's IGP to catch up. That's the reality of it. Otherwise you just get what hcho3's describing below:

Also, those of you who are waiting for IVY bridge air....

Please get a life. I will wait for next one. No. I will wait for the next one and next and next.

Sandy bridge just started to ship. IVY bridge is not coming for another 10 months or longer.

Amen!

The people who are here complaining about SB IGPs are the same people who were complaining about Arrandale IGPs last year at this time and wanted everyone to wait for SB. Now SB is here and those same people are all saying "I'm waiting for Ivy Bridge!"

Give it 12+ months, and those same people will be moaning that Ivy Bridge "only matches the 320m - I'm waiting for [Insert Ivy Bridge Successor here]".

Ivy Bridge LV chips won't be available till this time NEXT year or later - and I maintain that Sandy Bridge or not, Apple will not let it's newly updated and hot selling MBA go completely stagnant without an update for almost 24 months. No way.

I know this thread is all guesses, gut feelings, and speculation, but i really don't understand the ivy bridge rationale. I mean the chip doesn't even have a formal release date. And its not just formal date... not even Intel knows the date. So I don't understand why its reasonable to think that Apple would skip SB (a chip that exists and its competitors use) and wait for a chip that has not been tested or a date announced, and then say specifically June 2012?

I mean I don't mean to be confrontational or anything, I know on paper ivy bridge looks ideal for MBA, I am just trying to understand your opinion. Yes it is a possibility that it is released early 2012 and makes its way to MBA by june. It is also a possibility it is released later and doesn't make it till fall/Winter 2012. Does Apple really want to risk leaving a machine un-updated for 2 years? Given that uncertainty, ivy bridge -> MBA -> June 12 seems really specific unless there is some news I don't know about or something I'm not getting. Thanks

Nope. You're getting it pretty much spot on. Leaving the MBA alone from June '09 till October 2010 made sense before 'cause it was pricey and a niche product. Now with their $999 price-point and huge marketing campaign, Apple has called the MBA the "Future of the MacBooks". Some future that'll be if it's sitting there with 2GB of RAM, 64GB SSD and a C2D in mid-2012. It'll be more like a MacBook "look to the past".

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Wow, that is interesting, I was not aware. Depending on what that schedule looks like it might necessitate a chip upgrade before ivy bridge. I have seen a number of people that think SB will be skipped all together. If you can find more info that could be useful. Thanks! It also means that a SB Air could be a bit more expensive... which might also mean that they don't upgrade SSD capacities. haha this is all total speculation here, i'm just sayin.

I can't find the actual article I read a while back but a quick search for the CPU model numbers that the Air uses (SU9400 and SL9400) + "discontinued" yields a few results including the following: http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2010/2010120703_Intel_discontinues_Core_2_mobile_CPUs.html

It looks like the Core 2 Duo is already discontinued effective a few weeks ago. Meaning supply will exist through roughly October for orders placed in April. So yeah, unless Apple is going to hoard Core 2 Duos in inventory, I would count on a Sandy Bridge refresh sometime this year. Maybe not June, but definitely before the end of the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.