Will the MacBook Air suit my needs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Achtung(Baby), Jul 25, 2013.

1. Achtung(Baby) macrumors member

Like many others on this forum, I am heading off to college this August. And as much as I want to wait for a Haswell rMBP, I just can't make it happen. So that leaves me with two options: the new 13" Macbook Air, or a refurb 13" rMBP.

Currently I am leaning heavily towards the MBA. I realize it lacks a retina display, but to me having the latest tech is more valuable. The only thing I am struggling with is whether or not the MBA will have adequate power for what I will be using it for. The model I am looking at is:

1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
    Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
    Intel HD Graphics 5000
    8GB memory
    256GB flash storage

I plan on using it for normal college tasks such as word processing, web browsing, movie watching, etc. I am an economics and political science major so I won't be required to run any demanding programs. I do however plan to run Parallels 8. I also dabble in photography so it has to be able to handle Photoshop CS6.

I personally don't have any experience with the air. So if someone who has one could share their experiences with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

TL;DR Looking to buy a laptop for college, not sure a 2013 MBA with 8GB of ram will be adequate for my needs.

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

A Titanium PowerBook G4 would be powerful enough for your needs; the MBA will be more than adequate.

3. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Or you could go for the current 15" Retina MacBook Pro.
    It is on clearance sale at Best Buy — Only $1,259.99 vs. the regular price of $2,099.99.
    Quite an offer.

4. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

This.

5. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Man, I want this to be true but I don't see it online. Got a link?

6. flottenheimer macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

Indeed. Here goes: rMBP clearance at Best Buy

Could be that you need to hurry. It is only $1,259.99. You save $840.00 : )

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

A Macbook Air will be more than enough for your needs.

8. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Thanks very much for the link. I was ready to buy one for my wife but alas, it's only available for in store pickup and I'm in Sacramento. Our local Best Buys don't have this awesome deal.

9. Achtung(Baby) thread starter macrumors member

Is it redundant to have an iPad and a Macbook Air?

10. Frost17 macrumors regular

I feel the MBA would be a great choice in your scenario. The retina display is obviously a gorgeous feature, but a Haswell Air would make more sense to me.

Considering what you want to do with it you'll be fine. Utilizing Dropbox, Evernote, etc... would work really well with an iPad, so I don't think that would be a bad decision to have both either.

Computing power will not be an issue (8gb of RAM will fly). MBA all the way.

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Different people will give you different answers. In my case, it sort of is. I could totally live without my iPad. There's almost nothing it can do that my MBA or iPhone can't. Are there certain times when it's nice having an iPad? Yes. But $499+ (or $329+ in the case of the mini) nice? Maybe not.

12. techie-struts macrumors newbie

I am questioning this also. I think that the iPad is for instant entertainment needs, while I can get this satisfaction and more on my MBA adding a iPad mini wouldn't hurt. :D

13. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

With the new battery increases, yes. Especially if you roll w/ an 11".

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, no. Two different devices for two different uses.

15. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

depends on what you need or want. for me the iPad would be redundant. For others the laptop might be. And then I suppose there are others who want or need both so neither would be redundant!

16. silvershamrock macrumors member

MBA has more than enough power for what you mentioned.

And if you were planning to get a laptop to bring to class with you, the MBA is preferable to the MBP because it's considerably lighter, and therefore much easier to lug around all day. My MBA goes everywhere with me...

17. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I have a 27" iMac, a 13" MBA, an iPad, AND an iPhone .... none of which I consider "redundant."