Will the Macbook get damaged being left in outside heat? (In a car, for example)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Emergo, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Emergo macrumors member

2. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Take a look at the apple battery info page regarding storage and operating temps to find out

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Basically doing so will not help maximize the longterm performance of the batteries lol

But it depends on how hot and how long. Probably best not to leave inside the car in direct sunlight for example.

3. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

4. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Without looking at the specs or anything, I'd be most worried about the adhesives that are used in its construction. That said, I'd think it would be ok as long as it isn't in direct sunlight. Of course, if it is, it's also visible from the outside of the car and is at risk of being stolen. :eek:

5. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

I ask because if i leave it in my car during work if its okay. So thats about 8 hours. If i leave it under the seat it might be okay.

If its only the battery then that can be repaired easily by customer care right?

6. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

Err Id just be sensible about it... if you know how hot the car gets inside and its way above the safe levels indicated on apples page I linked to I wouldn't leave it in the car 8 hours every day.

7. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I live in Phoenix Arizona where it gets pretty damn hot in the summer. (115 F or higher) I have occasionally left my laptop in the car when bringing it in to a store or restaurant or whatever wasn't practical. A few times for a full day. Always in a case under the seat. I made the point of actually shutting it down (not just sleep) before hand and gave it some cool down time before powering it back up. No real problems that I have ever noticed. I might not recommend doing it every day, though.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Your car will get damaged when someone breaks into your car to steal your MacBook.

9. ziggy29 macrumors 6502

For a few minutes out of direct sunlight, it would probably be OK though I'd worry about the effect on the battery.

For several hours on a hot summer day, no, I wouldn't do it, especially if it wasn't covered parking.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Check the specs: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/
    Storage (non-operating) temperature maximum is 113F (45C)

Depending on the circumstances, it's quite possible for the interior of a car to exceed 140F (60C). one link of many

I wouldn't keep it in the car unless the car was in a parking deck and thus never exposed to sunlight.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, the battery in the Macbook can not be exchanged.

12. deeddawg macrumors 604

Have a look at step 15: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Retina+Macbook+2015+Teardown/39841#s89842
    That battery is glued into the chassis. While I'm sure Apple will be able to replace it, I won't expect it to be cheap.

(yes that's the 2015 version, the 2016 teardown suggests both are the same)

13. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Crap. So today i left my car under the passenger seat (not under direct heat) for four hours. When i grabbed the bag it was in and took my macbook out it was a little warm. I started up the macbook and there was a weird screen that popped up after logging in my username. Like a glitchy ugly screen just before the wallpaper.

Should i return this macbook?

I just turned it off and turned it on again. The glitchy screen didnt appear. But im scared i may have permanently damaged this laptop.

14. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Hard to verify without a pic, but I will say on my rMBP I have noticed the glitchy screen you described before. It's always right around the time I open up the laptop after a decent amount of time has passed. I doubt anything is wrong with your Mac as true damage would likely have additional implications, but you could swing by the GB and have them run some diagnostics to make sure.

s

15. boltjames macrumors 601

boltjames

I used my RMB as a visor while on vacation in the Caribbean, no problem with the sun or heat, but the sunscreen.

BJ

16. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

you leave it in a hot car and later you scratch it, see another of your posts asking what to do. whats with you.

17. MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Where do you park your car?

18. ZipZap macrumors 603

Sounds like a "Cleared Work" situation. Leave it at home.

19. Emergo thread starter macrumors member

Whats a cleared work situation?

20. ZipZap macrumors 603

Work requiring a security clearance where devices are banned.

21. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Never leave it in the greenhouse. If you have a trunk, that's better but still may be too hot. Depends on your climate. Do you have a locker? Generally, don't leave valuables in your car anyway.

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would say it was damaged by the user and not eligible for return or Apple Care. Apple Care doesn't cover misuse.