Will the Macbook get damaged being left in outside heat? (In a car, for example)

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Take a look at the apple battery info page regarding storage and operating temps to find out

http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Basically doing so will not help maximize the longterm performance of the batteries lol

But it depends on how hot and how long. Probably best not to leave inside the car in direct sunlight for example.
Without looking at the specs or anything, I'd be most worried about the adhesives that are used in its construction. That said, I'd think it would be ok as long as it isn't in direct sunlight. Of course, if it is, it's also visible from the outside of the car and is at risk of being stolen. :eek:

Emergo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
I ask because if i leave it in my car during work if its okay. So thats about 8 hours. If i leave it under the seat it might be okay.

If its only the battery then that can be repaired easily by customer care right?

Fuzzball84

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
I ask because if i leave it in my car during work if its okay. So thats about 8 hours. If i leave it under the seat it might be okay.

If its only the battery then that can be repaired easily by customer care right?
Err Id just be sensible about it... if you know how hot the car gets inside and its way above the safe levels indicated on apples page I linked to I wouldn't leave it in the car 8 hours every day.

happyslayer

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I live in Phoenix Arizona where it gets pretty damn hot in the summer. (115 F or higher) I have occasionally left my laptop in the car when bringing it in to a store or restaurant or whatever wasn't practical. A few times for a full day. Always in a case under the seat. I made the point of actually shutting it down (not just sleep) before hand and gave it some cool down time before powering it back up. No real problems that I have ever noticed. I might not recommend doing it every day, though.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
For a few minutes out of direct sunlight, it would probably be OK though I'd worry about the effect on the battery.

For several hours on a hot summer day, no, I wouldn't do it, especially if it wasn't covered parking.

Emergo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Crap. So today i left my car under the passenger seat (not under direct heat) for four hours. When i grabbed the bag it was in and took my macbook out it was a little warm. I started up the macbook and there was a weird screen that popped up after logging in my username. Like a glitchy ugly screen just before the wallpaper.

Should i return this macbook?

I just turned it off and turned it on again. The glitchy screen didnt appear. But im scared i may have permanently damaged this laptop.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Hard to verify without a pic, but I will say on my rMBP I have noticed the glitchy screen you described before. It's always right around the time I open up the laptop after a decent amount of time has passed. I doubt anything is wrong with your Mac as true damage would likely have additional implications, but you could swing by the GB and have them run some diagnostics to make sure.

Crap. So today i left my car under the passenger seat (not under direct heat) for four hours. When i grabbed the bag it was in and took my macbook out it was a little warm. I started up the macbook and there was a weird screen that popped up after logging in my username. Like a glitchy ugly screen just before the wallpaper.

I just turned it off and turned it on again. The glitchy screen didnt appear. But im scared i may have permanently damaged this laptop.
s

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Never leave it in the greenhouse. If you have a trunk, that's better but still may be too hot. Depends on your climate. Do you have a locker? Generally, don't leave valuables in your car anyway.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

I would say it was damaged by the user and not eligible for return or Apple Care. Apple Care doesn't cover misuse.

Reactions: deeddawg