Will the Macbook overheat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xyner, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Xyner macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm very keen on buying a new Macbook but I have a question.

I usually use the computer for the whole day (12-16 hours) and I'm wondering if overheating is a problem?

If it is a problem to the Macbook, can I do anything to help? Other than letting it rest/cool down more?

Thanks for reading,
    Xyner

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm guessing you meant that you won't be letting it sleep during those 12-16 hours right? If you are going to let it sleep, don't worry about it. It will cool off. If not, then is it going to be plugged in most of the time? If it is (and even if it isn't) then SMC fan control will really be useful. When I'm at home and my mbp gets hot, I simply kick up the fans and it keeps my mbp very cool:cool:

3. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

It shouldn't overheat. Mine has once and I really shouldn't have left it sitting on comforter while doing a DVD->.h264 movie conversion.

4. Xyner thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, thanks :D .. And no, I'm not going to let it sleep , unless I go out. :cool:

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you sure you wouldn't be better served by a Mini then? How often do you plan on traveling with the macbook?

Personally, I think that the macbook's real strong point is it's portability. It sounds to me like you're going to be using it as a desktop replacement. I think a Mini would be more cost effective in that regard.

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Just prop it up slightly at the back to allow more airflow and make sure nothing is stopping the airflow at the back of it, as that's where the hot air comes out.

Cool air is sucked in through the keys, it shouldn't overheat, and will get quite hot when your doing intensive work on it, but should cool itself off by itself.

As mentioned, you can download a utility to help manually too.

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

another possibility is to go for one of those stands/coolers.
    but there are a lot of threads about them...a search will give you a good overview of the available stands for the macbook

I myself am using the koolsink with my macbook and it's great.

8. Xyner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Well, quite often, but while traveling, the Macbook can sleep right? :D

Alright thanks for the reply. If cool air is sucked through the keys, keeping the lid closed will make it heat faster?

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I see. So only on those days when the macbook has to be running for 12 hours do you need an effective cooling system right? Well SMC fan control will help you there, and I also reaffirm the advice of others to get a stand of some kind so that your notebook gets good airflow. With that combo you should be fine.

10. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

This new macbook is the coolest i have ever owned I use it all day and its lukewarm at best around 45Degrees

11. azulchica macrumors newbie

so the hottest its gotten has been 45 degrees? Wow. I haven't been so lucky, my CPU measured at 80 degrees Celsius from about 3 minutes of use of Photobooth. I had Mozilla and iTunes running at the same time, but still 80 degrees that just seems excessive. I'm considering exchanging it for another one.

12. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Mine idles at 55-60 degrees. It works perfectly though. It's a first generation, which had a reputation for running quite hot. But as long as it works, I couldn't really care less.:)

13. originalcliche macrumors member

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

there are two utilities (apps) that I know of...
    one is smcfancontrol and another is Fan Control...
    not sure if they are leopard ready though...

15. Chilll macrumors newbie

Testing out the MCP

I am testing out this MBP 2.4 duo core2 15" just to see if it plays Call of Duty4 and Gears of war..First what I did was load in parallels w (WinXP Pro) to see if I can run Call of duty 4 modern warefare..Thru parallels NO good would not work due to some kind of video error.(I allocated 1.5 gig of ram)..Then what I did I also installed bootcamp..which I allocated a 50 gig partition.I loaded WinXP Pro..Now here is where the temps went up.This was all done at the same time "While downloading and installing 85 Windows updates at once,Loading 2 dvds(6.5 gigs of call of duty4) One after another.Then rebooting for window updates after Each dvd was done coping all the files..( I split the image due to a dvd is 4.5 gig).Then I joined the split images into one. I was wondering myself if this mcp overheats because unlike pc laptops they suck air in thru the bottom and blow it out the side or back.I honestly don;t know how this MBP cooling system works ..MBP got VERY HOT right along the base of the LCD screen area just behind the F1-F12 keys. and underneath right above the battery close to the lcd panel(screen)).I've done the same loading for Gears of war.(DirectX 10 game).While I was joining the COD4 images together I was loading the 2 dvds form Gears of war.Don't know what else would make this mbp hotter...I just wanted to se if the games play but I also seen hot hot it gets..Now as I type this nothing is running and its just barly warm in the area I mentioned behind F1-F12 keys.I will give you an update if these games play or not..