Will the MacBook Pro ever get Touch ID?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Snookerman, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Snookerman macrumors 6502

I guess it wouldn't happen this year based on the lack of rumors about it but maybe next year? A nice place for it would be the on-off switch or maybe it could be incorporated in the touchpad.

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I hope not. On the phone it's a casual "Oh, this will be faster than unlocking the old way", while on the computer it will be "Oh, now I don't have to pay attention to security".

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

How do you figure? It's easier to lock/unlock your car with a FOB rather than fumbling with a manual key and lock like we used to. And now more people lock their cars.

The same principal applies to any device. Make it easier to secure and more people will secure it. I use encrypted drives with very long passwords that need to be constantly typed in. I'd welcome a print scanner.

4. Hitch08 macrumors 6502

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

i think its about ergonomics, the only space i could think of is the small gap between trackpad and keyboard in my retina 15....but thats on 15 ... the 13 inch has an even smaller gap.

6. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

It would be cool if you could actually map different touches to different actions.... like how the PC laptops with a fingerprint sensor do it.

7. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

It would be a nice replacement for 50 character passwords, and even more secure!

8. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

Assuming nothing goes wrong with the 5s implementation of touch ID, yes, most likely you can expect to see it on their laptops in the future. However, I am not an analyst, nor do I play one on tv and my opinion is just that.