Will The Macbook Pro Get Too Hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lightuser333, Oct 23, 2014.

1. lightuser333 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting the base model 2014 13" macbook pro retina. I will be using xcode, playing Minecraft, cod4, black ops, using garageband and iMovie.
    Do you guys think it will get too hot to be usable? What do you guys know about overheating?

Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Now, let's make something clear here.

Overheating means operating beyond the temperature specs. Should your computer overheat(it won't) it'll shut down before it can damage itself. Overheating is a term that's being tossed around a bit too lightly here.

What exactly do you mean by too hot to be usable?

Secondly, I don't think you'll like the performance you'll get on COD4 with the crappy Intel integrated card pushing the amount of pixels a retina screen has. If your intended use is gaming, I'd step up to a 15" or look for a PC laptop/desktop, you'll get a computer that can run circles around a 13" rMBP for a lot less.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Pretty much this

You can't beat an rMBP for a light, thin, quiet, portable all round powerful laptop, but this is no gaming rig.
    If your focus is gaming, a thick, heavy, ugly laptop with a fast graphics card and big loud fans loaded with windows will do you much better.
    Unfortunately these are the compromises you have to make when considering your usage case.

4. savagewatts macrumors regular

15 2014 rMBP

My 15" with an i7 chip playes 4K games like Civiliation V with no issues. I can play and have imovie rendering 1080p video with no issues.

5. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Same boat. I dual boot 7 and Yosemite, have steam on both and play Civ, recently Euro Truck Sim 2 lol. Modded GTA IV too.