Will the machines handle it ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeroh, May 20, 2011.

1. Zeroh macrumors member

so what do you guys think, will the new 2011 high end macbook pros be able to play the new COD and BFBC3 (coming out late this year) and play them well, and when will be able to expect external thunderbolt gpu's.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

They've got decent GPUs (high end 15 and 17), so I would imagine so. No idea about the external GPUs though.

3. DeChrii macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

the high end MacBook pros can handle those games very well. no idea in the external you until it's announced but as of now I dunno

4. snaky69, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

snaky69 macrumors 603

Even thunderbolt doesn't have enough bandwidth to run an external GPU, no external interface can, you can forget about that right away. Sorry to rain on your parade but it's just not doable.

To quote AMD's website, the memory bandwidth of the 6750M is: Memory bandwidth: 51.2-57.6 GB/sec (GDDR5) That's GigaByte, not Gigabit, if you transfer that in Gigabits(thunderbolt is rated at 10Gb/s) it comes out to 409.6-460.8. Thunderbolt can't even remotely do that. And we're talking about a middle of the road graphics card here.

Add that to the fact that on Macbook Pros the thunderbolt port is only about to output video, not input it.

5. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

i had the feeling this would be a case lol, oh well thats one thing thrown in the trash, hopefully this card will be able to pump our 40-50 fps on the new games.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why do you even buy a laptop for gaming? In fact, why are you on a mac for gaming?

It has:
    -Non upgradable parts for the most part (this goes for all laptops, not just macs)
    -Poor heat management due to the thin case
    -Will be outdated gaming-wise much much faster than a desktop

Staying mobile and being able to play around a bit is cool, but don't expect much performance in the long run on Mac laptops, that's just not what they are catered to. The MacBook Pros are workhorses, not gaming rigs.

Build yourself a cheap Gaming PC, it'll blow the MacBook Pro out of the water at a quarter of the cost.

7. Arsenal09 macrumors member

a friend of my can play Cod - Black Ops on it's 2010 13inch MBP very well, so i think this generation of 15 inch can handle some gaming, and i also think this year's Cod. but i don't think we can expect they will be very good at the newest games in the next couple of years :)

hope it helps, cheers.

8. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You realize that is speaking of the internal memory bandwidth, not the bandwidth the card uses through PCIe?

9. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

You are confusing memory bandwidth with interface bandwidth.

Thunderbolt has the equivalent of PCIe2.0 x4 speed which is more than enough to support an external graphics card, although likely there would be a performance penalty. On a med range card it might be as low as 10% but on a high end card I wouldn't be surprised to see 25% or more drop in performance. There are external thunderbolt to pcie adapters coming. It will be very interesting to see if and how all this works out, don't you agree?

10. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

11. Zeroh thread starter macrumors member

A little gaming here and there won't hurt lol, it's not as if I bought it just for gaming lol