Will the MB be fine for me?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by boatski, Oct 16, 2008.

1. boatski macrumors regular

Looking to be a first time Mac user here. Never really touched one except to play music through itunes on my friend's iMac.

My uses are:

School & Projects
    Web Design
    Normal everyday use.

I'd like to get into creating iPhone apps one day. I'm majoring in programming, not sure which way I want to go with it right now though.

The 13" MB should be fine for what I'm wanting to get into correct? Nothing should be very graphic-demanding.

And I have one question:
    If I were to buy a mini-display -> vga link could I set the resolution to 1650x1080 on my monitor on my desk? Or will it only support the resolution of the mac? Which was something like 1280x800

2. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Agreed. Go for it.

4. boatski thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I assumed as much since the specs on the new macs are similar. I just have no clue how a Mac works.

5. bmg macrumors newbie

I also am considering a MB, the white macbook, only bec I have a chance to get a good deal on it. I was told that if I wanted to play some games on it, like Halo 3,(not often) that it wasn't a good choice as the graphics card isn't quite up to speed. Also, I plan on video-conferencing (ichat? I believe it's called). Any comments? The new MB will cost ~$400 more if I go that route. Will the starter MB work out?

6. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yes, it will be fine for you.

And it will support an external display resolution up to 2560x1600.

7. Your5335 macrumors member

A perfect companion. I have some CAD software installed and it runs fine with the model I got (2.4 GHz)

8. EmptyCalm macrumors member

sounds good for you. i was like you school, some hobbies, light work on cs3 but i bought my macbook for believe it or not garageband. i thought it was the coolest thing ever an now i don't even use it, now i find myself doing photoshop an videos an i want to grow on that hobby and it sucks that my macbook doesn't have a graphics card..so take into effect what you'll be doing 2-3years from now. your interest might go a different direction so think about that :D

9. ankitsid macrumors member

what about me
    i run dj programs

a lot of photoshop
    minor video editing
    web design
    flash
    then normal computer stuff?
    im scared that ill be in the middle of a party djing and the computer will start lagging up....

im asking about the 2.0ghz version

10. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

It should be fine for ankitsid unless his DJ/music or video equipment requires firewire.

11. ankitsid macrumors member

as of right now i dont have firewire equip as im just starting in the game

but later on im sure i will have to get an external sound card and hopefully by then there will be a good USB one out

thanks for the info though

12. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

your the ideal consumer for the alu macbooks.
    skip on ssd for now though