Will the MBP have a new design by this time next year?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soleilvie, Apr 22, 2010.

1. soleilvie macrumors member

I love the unibody design but it came out what, two years ago? I know it isn't good to speculate like this because I could be waiting for god knows how long, but nevertheless, I was curious as to whether you guys think the unibody design will stay for a long time or if a completely new design will be around within the next year.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

In terms of design and, also very important, durability, they're way ahead of the curve and they are where they want to be. I don't see them stepping away from the aluminum unibody any time soon. They might find ways to flatten the MBPs a bit, although it's more likely that they'll just expand the battery instead. So I don't think there'll be any big changes in the coming years.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It came out in October of 2008, which is hardly two years.

The design before that was introduced in 2003 and was with us until 2008, so expect to get another three years out of the current design.

4. hypermog macrumors regular

What do you want them to change? The current one is great.

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

^that's what we were saying about the pre-unibody macbook pros as well.

I wonder what the next chassis design is going to look like.

6. soleilvie thread starter macrumors member

It's not that there's something I want them to change. It's that I don't need a new computer right now, I just really want one (and have money to spend on one) but I'd rather wait if there might be a whole new design coming out soon. Not that I'd enjoy playing the waiting game...

7. Garrus macrumors member

maybe a little speed bump this fall but i doubt any change in the design...

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple is not known for changing designs often. They seem to be on a 5 year cycle.

9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

yes, and you should wait until then

10. blackwind macrumors regular

What's wrong with unibody design? I am opposit to your question. i dont like them to change yet coz who know it will look for next design.

But i do hope if they could pump up abit on the gpu, cpu and batttery more..

Which never going to happen any sooner......

Hope there will be a small bump during WWDC this year?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Not going to happen, as the last update was two weeks ago, and Apple typically waits four to nine months between updates.

12. LucidPsychosis macrumors regular

I doubt even Papa Jobs knows the answer to that question.

13. blackwind macrumors regular

Its so true that we can sometime guess what happening.

WWDC => iPhone 4G

and then OCT or NOV small bump for mbp? as usual?

14. larq2391 macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised. If Apple has to redo the entire logic board in the 13" just to make an i processor fit with a decent gpu might as well redo the entire line. Make all of the screens 16:9 with IPS technology and higher resolutions.

Kind of like going from a 24" iMac to a 27" iMac. Different, but not radically different.

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Or not...with he "leak"...apple may not. I have a feeling Apple may release another model in place of the so-called leaked one. There's speculation all the time, but don't get too far ahead of yourself because you'll probably wait around forever....

16. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

That gives me a great idea! Let's start The Unofficial "but I'd rather wait if there might be a whole new MBP design coming out soon" thread!!!

17. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be surprised. If Apple has to redo the entire logic board in the 13" just to make an i processor fit with a decent gpu might as well redo the entire line. Make all of the screens 16:9 with IPS technology and higher resolutions.

Kind of like going from a 24" iMac to a 27" iMac. Different, but not radically different.

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I guess there will be a redesign. The 13" probably gets one and I guess next year they might be ready to finally remove the optical drive.
    I fear a new design because they might go 16:9. And 16:9 sucks because it makes a notebook bigger with the same usable screen size. 16:9 is great good for big screens 19"+ but on small screens it is just stupid.