will the MBP overheat? external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesusplay, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I see no vent holes on the mac so i figure the heat is expelled through the key board/speaker area?

sooo should i leave the lid open so the macbook pro can vent? I always have it connected to an external display and I have a wireless mouse/keyboard. it's basically a desktop on my 40 tv.

also I notice my back ground turning to a bland GREY color and it won't return to normal unless I unplug the hdmi/thuderbolt cable or retstart the computer:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba

The vent opening is behind the black hinge, there is no venting through the keyboard.
    And if a MacBook Pro is getting close to too hot temps and the fan(s) can't vent enough heat with the 6000 RPM it/they spin at, it will shut down, thus preventing overheating.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if you don't like the heat get a cooling stand.

4. Medic278, Apr 8, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012

Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I have my MBP on a stand when its connected to my display. The stand serves two purposes, one it allows my MBP to stay cool, and two if I am eating or drinking and have a spill it protect my MBP. Apple sells some really nice stands for under $50USD you should look into one, they are super helpful.

5. macdudesir macrumors 6502

as simsaladimbamba said, the MBP vents through the black hinge on the back of the machine...as for the gray screen, would you maybe have a fullscreen app running? because with lion, running an app in fullscreen will cause the other display to turn gray and unusable.

6. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok great thanks for the replies.

anyone know why my desktop wall paper turns grey?

----------

my lcd tv's background displays a grey back ground wallpaper. It's the same as the macbook.

but if I unplug it, my back ground returns on the macbook and when I plus back in the desktop mirrors it perfectly.

it happens over time at random. the macbook and every thing is still usable, I just find it annoying the wall paper is a grey color.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I have the same problem and it's annoying as hell. Sometimes if I log out and then back I'll get my wallpaper back. Sometimes I have to disconnect it and reconnect to get it back, and sometimes only a reboot solves the issue. I don't think it has anything to do with full screen apps. I'm pretty sure that most of the time that it did happen I didn't have any full screen apps running but I will make sure to not run any this week to see if it happens again.

I hope someone else can chime in with a definitive answer.

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I had a similar problem, and it was the settings for the display, you can set your display to mirror your MBP, but if you do that and make a page full screen on your MBP then the external display will not work for some reason.

9. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Same problem here, and i checked my preferences in onyx and no corruption with them either so idk what causes this.

11. jeffreymabq macrumors newbie

That napkin holder stand is awesome! You say it works well with an MPB?

Too bad the nearest Ikea is 500 miles away....

12. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

yea mine is a black macbook,i think ikea do shipping?!