Will the MBP update actually be affected by Montevina problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Blanz, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Blanz macrumors member

I'm just using logic here, and I'm not completely sure if I'm right or not, but I'm curious as to why the MBP would be delayed with Montevina.

Before you say "OMGZ N00b!," just hear me out. We all know that there are two holdups for the chipset 1. The wireless certification. 2. The integrated graphics card.
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont think the MBP uses either of those. I remember someone saying that Apple uses its own wireless. (which is why it cant call its current product centrino)
    Also, MBPs have their own graphics card, so whats the need for the integrated one?

This just sounds a little fishy to me... maybe a plot to get it into the hands of Apple before anyone else?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

+1. I said that earlier! That would be epic. Check my history if you don't believe me.

3. Nikklaus macrumors member

You're spot on. And I hope so!

EDIT: Whatever the deal with Montevina, Apple seem to be slipping behind with current technology and IMHO are due to be putting something out. Their main competitors have to be Sony and Dell and both are now running Blu-Ray in their laptops.

4. acquinn macrumors newbie

acquinn

interesting theory. Hopefully those new macbooks are out by september though.

5. Nikklaus macrumors member

I dunno, that would suit the release of the MBP, but not the MB? Though I suppose if they had planned on releasing that later, it doesn't make a difference. :confused:

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No actually they can ship with the Centrino 2 moniker now if they want considering Intel dropped the Intel wireless requirement; now it just need the right chipset, CPU and any wireless.

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

I hope that Blu-ray is an optional (BTO) addon instead of being integrated because I don't want to pay for the extra cost of the slot loading Blu-ray drive. Blu-ray movies are obscenely expensive and the writable media is outrageous for now as the technology is still new. I'm hoping that Apple continues with the plan of dropping optical media in favor of external devices to make thinner and lighter machines.

Oh and come on 256GB SSD option in new Macbook Pro without the $1000 price tag!

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Intel might be holding back the chipsets for additional testing with the fixed X4500 GPUs so even though Apple doesn't use the X4500, if Intel is not shipping the chipset to Apple's suppliers, those suppliers cannot build systemboards.

Also, Intel is a bit constrained with producing the new line of 45nm mobile Penryns so even if Apple's suppliers can get chipsets and build systemboards, they could be experiencing shortages in getting the new CPUs.

I bought a MacBook Pro on Friday because I believe they won't ship till August/September (which is too late for me), but if Apple does ship new MBPs with Montevina next week, I'm willing to eat the 15% re-stock depending on how much better they perform.

9. Blanz thread starter macrumors member

But how do you know that? it could all be a ploy to get the chipsets to Apple first, considering how the two problems with the chipset are convenitently the two things on the chipset that apple doesnt care about

10. Nikklaus macrumors member

...for the MacBook Pro.

11. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I don't.

But I do know that Apple is such a small OEM for Intel that they don't really need to formally screw-over all their other (and larger) OEMs by creating an artificial delay to get Apple product.

If Apple is willing to pay Intel a premium for chipset and CPU product, Intel can do a special run for them at their Hillsboro, Oregon R&D fab pretty much "on the fly" while Fab 35 in Chandler, Arizona cranks out product for the large OEMs.

Not to mention the X4500 issue has been confirmed by third-parties doing testing of the product. And there is nothing stopping Intel from shipping Montevina chipsets right now with 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g support. It is just the 802.11n support that is hung-up at the FCC.

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I'm not so sure about Apple being "a such a small OEM for Intel". Isn't Apple one of the largest computer companies?

13. Blanz thread starter macrumors member

exactly. this forum is about the macbook pro. I dont think the regular macbook will get updated until around november, after the back to school thing is over.

14. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

HAHA..no

Large company, yes, large computer company? no... not with only 7-8% of home computer marketshare (source)

one word

IPOD

15. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I can assure you that compared to what companies like HP, Dell, Lenovo, and a few others order from Intel in terms of product, Apple's annual orders are indeed quite small. However, that doesn't mean Intel doesn't appreciate them, as we have seen with things like the recent "Santa Rosa Specials" for the iMac refresh. :)

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I won't argue with this... My point was based on an article I've read some time ago about Apple being in top 5 of largest computer companies (of US)...

17. futuremac macrumors member

I agree, they could drop the optical drive from the MBP and it wouldn't bother me much. I was shocked when so many people complained about the Air not having an optical drive. I still can't believe they were serious. Even with a MBP you can have an external Blu drive, then if you want to watch movies on the go just rip 'em to the HDD.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MBP is a professional machine and many pros need a built-in drive. I'm not a pro myself, but if I had a MBP and it didn't have a drive, I'd die! O_O

19. futuremac macrumors member

If the optical drive stays then it should be Blu-ray. I can see a situation were you may need to burn or view media on the road, so I guess it'd be nice to have it as an option for at least the next couple of years. That way a drive could be loaded if needed later. Optical drives will surely be fazed out in the coming years.

20. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Probably, but I don't see them being phased out before the next generation MBP becomes obsolete.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

That is what external drives are for. A slot loading Superdrive or Blu-perdrive could be built into a thin external enclosure that works with the firewire/USB port on the Macbook Pro. This isn't much of a sacrifice if there is an added RAID option (a RAID array of SSD disks!) or something a bit more useful than a Blu-ray drive that burns on a $22.50 disk or a Blu-ray drive that reads $35 movies to display on a 1440x900 screen while eating away the battery.

The Macbook Air is likely the only portable that come without an optical drive for now. I just hope it becomes more powerful via a refresh because the current version is a bit weak with a PATA hard drive.