Will the MBP update be worth the wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carpediem08, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. carpediem08 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    #1
    After months of searching and reading everything I could on the forums about macbooks, macbook pro, and now the mac air I have decided to and can afford a 15" MBP. My question is this, "Will it be worth the wait?" I don't necessarily need the MBP now...although I want it! :) Other than the new touch pad and possibly a different processor will the new 15" MBP be that much different than the one that is currently sold? From the sounds of things the 17" will come with an LED display, but I haven't heard that about the 15". I welcome any and all of your thoughts on this.
     
  2. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    MBPs are great, and there is one thing that you can be sure of....

    The next MBP will always be even greater. Love my 2.33 15". A truly marvelous laptop.
     
  3. tstarks33 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #3
    To be honest, I'd wait. Sure, the current MBP's are great, but since its' been so long since there's been an update, chances are that it could come sooner rather than later. We can only guess as to what the upgrade will entail...

    Since you don't NEED it now, I see no reason to buy one now.
     
  4. JaySoul macrumors 68020

    JaySoul

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    #4
    I'm slightly worried that all they will do is upgrade to Penryn and multi-touch trackpads - and not much else... I've been waiting and holding off for months, and if they redesign later in the year I will not be a happy chappy!
     
  5. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2008
    #5
    To be honest, if you need the better battery life then wait. The new Penryn chip is supposed to increase battery life when your magsafe is no longer connected.:apple:
     
  6. propropro macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2004
    Location:
    Spain
    #6
    I'm worried too, It's highly (if not completely) unlikely that the next update will have any redesign at all :(
    The questions to answer are: Do we really have to give such importance to the design of the computer? is the current design not good enough? these are the question I am asking to myself lately before spending 2000$ :p
     
  7. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #7
    yes the design matters!!! that's half the point in owning a mac. PLUS how good would you feel if you bought an mbp only for it to get completley re-designed in 6 months. NO ONE can kid themselves into saying they wouldn't be bothered by it!
     
  8. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #8
    i dont see how they can improve on the current design, its the basis for the looks of the macbook air, so i dont see them now going and changing the pro, just buy the current one, because once they do update it, itll just get updated 6 months later again, so theres no point in waiting, if you have the money, go buy it now and start enjoying it
     
  9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #9
    depends on what waiting is worth to you. if you need a computer now, get it.
    if you want a freshly updated line, wait until they update.

    don't expect anything major, even though it could happen.
     
  10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

    greenmeanie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Location:
    CT
    #10
    If they get rid of the PEE colored screens and the missing keystroke problem it will be worth the wait :)
     
  11. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2007
    #11
    It's pretty hard to answer that considering no one actually knows what the update will entail. It's like, will 2010 be a good year? Is heaven going to be a nice place?
     
  12. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2003
    #12
    Yes, it will be worth it. Based on other manufacturers' offerings, the base $1999 model will likely be superior to the current $2499 model. I would stay far away from the current models unless you can save hundreds off of the list price.
     
  13. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #13
    My C2D MBP (pre-Santa Rosa) will be a year old in March, and I had pre-planned on owning it for only ~1 year. However, I've decided to wait until Montevina before I upgrade. I'm guessing there'll be a case re-design by then; the upgrade to Pennryn (for me) isn't significant enough, IMO. Well, at least until it becomes more clear on what is being upgraded in the new model.
     
  14. carpediem08 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2008
    #14
    Thanks for all the great opinions, I guess I will try to wait it out :(
     
  15. Csmitte macrumors 6502

    Csmitte

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    #15
    Actually I am pretty content with what I currently own? Design indeed matters however I am so happy not to be the guy who continuously posts as to when the new MBP update will be and is it a good idea to buy now? I bought this machine to see if it was worth the HYPE. Thats right I spent 2000 dollars to see if it was what all you people said it was. Glad I did too. I LUV my MBP.
     

Share This Page