Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan246

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
i was just wandering what is the min requirements for continuity i have a mid 2010 13in macbook pro and it already has airdrop but do you think this machine will get continuity. Also what is the min requirements for continuity for iOS devices.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
Nope it won't even be able to airdrop to iOS devices. Pretty much all that computer is gonna get is the new UI and more lag.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Let's not fan the flames...

There will be work-arounds.

I am 99% certain that you will be able to do a driver hack along with an aftermarket USB dongle for most machines.

We are developing a solution which won't need kext hacks. Parts flying in from around the globe, but I have already demonstrated BT 4.0 working A-OK in 2008 and 2009 MP.

There will be a way to make this work, count on it.

Fenderf4i

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2013
There will be work-arounds.

I am 99% certain that you will be able to do a driver hack along with an aftermarket USB dongle for most machines.

We are developing a solution which won't need kext hacks. Parts flying in from around the globe, but I have already demonstrated BT 4.0 working A-OK in 2008 and 2009 MP.

There will be a way to make this work, count on it.

I will gladly pay for an easy, non-hacked solution for my 2010 iMac. Keep us posted!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you look in the other BT thread I actually got it enabled in the machine the OP asked about.

Not going to be the problem it has been made out to be

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
whats the difference between continuity and handoff?

Continuity > more integration like iOS pushing SMS messages to the OSX messages app

Handoff > OSX and iOS handing off between apps (eg viewing map in iOS then clicking button on OSX and being brought up to the exact same spot.)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Continuity > more integration like iOS pushing SMS messages to the OSX messages app

Handoff > OSX and iOS handing off between apps (eg viewing map in iOS then clicking button on OSX and being brought up to the exact same spot.)

Handoff is going from one Apple device to another seamlessly. Handoff is part of Continuty, which includes taking phone calls on other Apple devices as well as text messages.

oh okay.
so as a 2011 MBP user the only thing im missing is handoff (apps), but i can still answer calls and send texts on my mac.
The latter are all i care about

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
oh okay.
so as a 2011 MBP user the only thing im missing is handoff (apps), but i can still answer calls and send texts on my mac.
The latter are all i care about

precisely. I'm in the same situation - just glad to have calls/texts on my Mac. and maybe Handoff via bluetooth upgrades... ;)

ToniqR

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
Bath, UK
Oh dear. So my mid 2010 15" MBP coupled with my ipad 2, will pretty much get none of the big new features?

I'll try to stay away from the excitement of these new software realises then to save the temptation of hardware upgrading!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.