Will the new base MBP be faster than 2.4 GHz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Jul 22, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I really hope that the new MacBook Pros, whenever they come out, are at least a little bit faster than 2.4 GHz. I understand that making the FSB faster will make the entire computer faster, so a 2.4 GHz Montevina processor is faster than a 2.4 GHz Penryn processor, but I hope they increase the clock speed of the processor too.

I suspect that they won't. For the Penryn update, Apple actually chose a cheaper processor than they used before the revision (newer, but cheaper). I don't think Apple will change their mind and switch back.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

From the looks of things unless Apple gets a more expensive processor on the base Macbook Pro you're going to see 2.4 GHz again under Montevina.

3. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Sad thing is a 1066 MHz FSB actually really won't improve performance at all.... since there's really no constraint at 800 MHz.

Given there's rumors of a $200 price-drop, it sounds like they're going to be dropping prices to account for the lackluster improvements.... I had been hoping maybe for a higher-res screen, but if the price cuts are true, that's ridiculously unlikely.

And yeah, it would be nice to have a 2.53 GHz min, but I guess not.

4. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I think that unless you are using very specific applications and each for a very large amount of data, you would not notice any difference.

The 3MB cache on the basic ("cheap") MBP is not a big deal for 99% of the users, since many applications are compiled for a 2MB cache.

thistle

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Montevina is a platform, not a processor. Both the current Santa Rosa platform and the Montevina platform have Penryn processors. While the new processors will have a faster FSB and higher clock speeds, they will still be Penryn processors. Changing the platform doesn't always change the processor used.

For Montevina:

Processors - Socket P / Micro-FCBGA
    a second-generation Intel Core 2 Duo (codenamed Penryn) 45nm processor with 1066 MT/s FSB with clock speeds ranging from 2.26 GHz to 3.06 GHz, also featuring SSE4.1 support, which adds 47 new instructions to SSSE3. It is planned to consume no more than 29W, compared to Merom's and first-generation Penryn's 34W TDP.

6. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Well you can already buy up to 2.6 GHz no?

I think the will probably release an option of 2.8 and 3.0GHz........maybe. Cause Montevina supports up to that right? It will probably be a bit more pricey, who knows.

7. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I don't think anybody has any performance related issues with current-gen MBPs. I guess they can put a better graphics card in there, and maybe offer solid-state drives as an option.

People are really tired of the design. Not that there's anything wrong with the current design, but many people on this forum would like to see some fresh change.

As far as the Penryn chips go, Apple and Intel have been BFF for a while now. So the MBP might get an exclusive, lower TDP, unreleased chip like the MBA and iMac.

Apple could also skip Montevina completely, since the Penryns are already being offered and Apple does not necessarily follow the Centrino package. MBPs also have dedicated graphics, so unless Apple wants to put in the newer Intel Wireless chip in there, I don't see any compelling reason besides a design change to update the MBPs.

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Of course the new base will be faster than the 2.4ghz just as the merom's base was 2.2ghz and 128mb of vram instead of the 256mb.

Also I wouldnt be surprised if the base for the montevina mbp will be 2.5ghz or even 2.6ghz.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See my earlier post for clock speeds.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the 3.06 will be exclusive to iMacs since there is no way the heat will be displaced on a MBP; my guess is the new options will be 2.8/2.6/2.4