Will the new Dell XPS M1530 Be a Macbook Pro Killer?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by icapricorn, Nov 29, 2007.

1. icapricorn macrumors member

Here's the thing. I'm a longtime PC user but have been mulling over getting a 15" Macbook Pro since summer. I decided to wait till MacWorld in January to see if any of the rumors of a new design might materialize. The MBP I would get would be maxed out as far as speed, hard drive and, most importantly, memory.

When I totaled up the options, I was staggered by the sum. A maxed-out MBP would cost more than my high-end 46-in HD TV (from Samsung, and I love it.)

Now Dell has come out with a 15" XPS laptop that, as far as I can see, matches up with the MBP in weight and features -- but the price is $1000 cheaper!

As far as outlets, no firewire but HDMI instead of DVI (not a deal-maker for me, just the newer connection type.)

Is anyone facing this dilemma?

$1000 more is definitely something that stops me in my tracks. And yes, I'm bracing myself for the fanboys to weight in with rants against PC and Vista. I will be more interested in replies that will shed light on this quandary, rather than heat.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. icapricorn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Eidorian. The link you posted was very helpful. (Could have done without the snippy aside, however.)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A little effort in using forum search, Google, and even posting in the right section goes a long way.

You're going to find that the other thread already has some content in it.