Will the new iClouddrive mirror a mac completely?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Sep 22, 2014.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I have a question to the new iclouddrive: Will it mirror my mbp to the cloud so that I can use another mbp at home with the same folders - or will it just work as stupid dropbox mirroring only one folder?
    I find dropbox frustrating: You can only mirror one folder and you end up having doublets of files you want backuped.

So I am kinda hopping that apple has work out a solution that provide a comprehensive mirror-function with specified folders etc.

Anyone knows?
    Morten

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think so, only because of storage and network bandwidth. I don't think its really feasible to completely mirror a local drive on to a drive on the cloud.

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Well, less than a time machine-solution would also do. Like SugarSync that lets you point out folders to be synchronized which then afterwards takes place in the background automatically without doubling the files in one local folder (like dropbox).

This is really a stupid way imo.

Morten

4. maflynn, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How does double your files and folders?

I use dropbox and I don't have any duplication

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

It does, if you want to backup files that cannot have dropbox as native folder - like your desktop. You then have to mirror your desktop folder in your local dropbox folder. Basically, dropbox demands that you put your folder tree into their folder. Stupid, not?
    Morten

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

And adapting to putting your important files into the dropbox folder is hard because?

No to sound like an ass but having stuff left on the desktop isn't my cup of tea.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

File in Dropbox, alias on Desktop? That is what I do for regularly-used stuff.

8. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

get Crash Plan

it's dirt cheap and very reliable. i bought the family plan, got 20% off and i have all of my computers backed up.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not tested it yet because I don't have Yosemite, but this Terminal command would (should?) make a symlink from your user Documents folder and mirror it to iCloud Drive without creating a second copy of the files, for example. This could be done with any data folder hypothetically.

Code:
    ln -s ~/Documents ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/Documents
    (~/Library/Mobile Documents/ is where iCloud Drive resides)

We were discussing it in this thread recently.

I have read posts where Yosemite users just made a new folder in the iCloud Drive folder and dropped whatever they want in there and it syncs and works fine, so I don't see any reason this would not work.

If some brave soul on Yosemite (with a good backup) wants to do a public service and test this?