Will The New Imacs Eliminate Glitches?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LoverOfApples, Nov 28, 2012.

1. LoverOfApples macrumors newbie

I purchased a 24" Imac, with OSX Snow Leopard) in March, 2009. Since then, I have had persistent, frustrating problems. They include: long delays in videos loading before playing - or not even playing at all, a dark screen, a disc drive that perpetually scratches and ruins discs (it was replaced once under Apple's warranty - but the new one is nearly as bad), photos - including video thumbnails - often not appearing (only a blue and white box appearing with a question mark inside), and several other annoying flaws. Please do not blame my Internet speed (a sufficiently high 4 MB's or so) for any of these problems. The glitches occurred even when software updates were properly installed. My friends usually do not experience these problems on their (much less expensive) pc's. My questions is: will the new (December, 2012 release date) Imac's have similar problems?

2. kaelell macrumors 6502

3. MacMiguel macrumors regular

After everything you suffered with your 24" iMac... You still fancy having a new one? Are you seriously considering buying one?

They say the screen has -75% of reflection, but if i were you i'd wait to see it in a store.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As most of your issues (other than the drive) are related to software, rather than hardware, a new model iMac won't help. You simply need to troubleshoot each issue and resolve it.

5. Ademordna macrumors regular

The bolded bit troubles me. What has this to do with PC's though? Some of us experience worse issues when using PC's ( I never had a days luck with them when I used to struggle to justify their inexpensiveness. I had to replace my Windows laptops quite frequently compared to my Macs). Looks like you've been unlucky one way or another, but I would beware jumping the Mac ship........and I'm not what I'd call a 'fanboy' .....or 'fangirl' as the case may be.

6. juliazo macrumors newbie

That question assumes that the majority of 24" iMacs out there have the same issues, which is not the case. Sounds like your computer is in need of some troubleshooting and/or servicing. My input on those issue you describe:

If you're referring to online, streaming videos, then your internet connection might not be fast enough (4MBs is really not that fast for modern HD video), or, as pointed out, there is a software issue (whether it's browser-, plug-ins-, or OSX-related needs to be determined by troubleshooting each individually, and possibly in that order).

Darker than... what exactly? what it was when you first bought it? You might have a bad Inverter, or the LCD panel might need replacement. In any case, servicing it will address and fix that issue.

If both the old and the new ODD scratch your discs, there might be a foreign object in the chassis of the computer, by the ODD slot, that could be causing that. If the drive is bad, it will need to be replaced (being mostly mechanical in nature, ODDs are prone to wear-and-tear, I'd recommend a cheapie, external USB ODD).

Definitely a software issue, and though the possible causes are numerous, the most common one is permission problems with your (I'm guessing you're using iPhoto?) library. Relatively easy to fix, too.

Not sure if by "software updates" you're referring to the OS, but a clean installation of OS X (not just of the updates and/or of the applications) can, and probably will, solve most of the issues you're describing, save for the ODD scratching disks and the screen being dark.

7. sheerin macrumors newbie

Safe to say the new iMac won't scratch your optical discs....

8. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

In a nutshell, YES. The new iMac's are guaranteed to have no problems similar to your problems, whatever and whenever those problems should arise. You can rest assured your investment is safe with the new Wonder iMac.

Now, go back, reread your original post, find an immoveable object and hit your head repeatedly. Post back if your question hasn't changed... :rolleyes:

9. henryonapple macrumors 6502

lol these aren't "glitches" caused by the iMac