Will the new iMac's new GPU fit my needs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dschiller, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dschiller macrumors regular

Hi all:)

I'd been waiting for at least 1.5 years for a new iMac release to finally "dump" (it's actually going to my mother) my slow Mini. I love the looks of the new one, but I'm a bit scared about the GPUs.

I don't do anything 3D intensive. Besides internet, email, music, movies, etc, I use Photoshop and play games occasionally.

I planned to buy one of the new iMacs (a 24 incher) and install XP via BootCamp to play games. I just wanted to know if it'll play games like LiveForSpeed and the forthcoming GTA IV and NFS Pro. I really don't care about insane fps et-al, but I do want this games to be playable (as in no lag using "comprehensible" video settings). Will they? Or should I wait for better GPUs to appear as CTO options?

BTW, I don't have and don't plan on buying a console any time soon, so I'd be relying entirely on this iMac for my (I think quite basic) gaming needs.

Cheers
    Daniel

BTW, please don't tell me to get a bloody Dell, because I love Macs and don't have the money to buy the new iMac as well as a gaming PC.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't GTA IV a 360 and PS3 only game? As for NFS: Prostreet and LiveForSpeed, you shouldn't have any problems. Medium settings is my best guess for NFS: Prostreet.

3. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply!

I think you might be right about GTA IV being Console-only, at least for now. But if I recall correctly, San Andreas was supposed to be console-only as well, and in the end they released a PC version a few months later.

So you think the current GPUs will fit my needs (Photoshop CS3 and a few games with medium settings)?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd be worried about GTA IV on the HD2600 Pro.

I thought it was DX10 too. :confused:

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Very unlikly they won't eventually release it for the PC eventually. Though it may not be until 2009.

Yes you are unlikly to be unable to play such games on medium settings. PC game sales are dwindling, having games work on as much hardware as possible is important to developers.

6. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

I sure hope so, since I expect this iMac to last me at least 4-5 years as my main computer. I realise of course by then the latest games will be bareably playable on it, but I expect to be safe for at least 2-3 years...

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Looks like it's Mac Pro time.

8. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately, there are a few reasons why that's not happenning:eek: :

1) Haven't got enough money to buy a Mac Pro + a Display
    2) No space in my bedroom
    3) I really like the way the new iMac looks :p

9. Spinnetti macrumors regular

I wouldn't sweat it..

I play some pretty heavy games including several car sim at full on settings with no problems on my "old" 2.0ghz 20" core duo (2gig mem, x1600 upgrade card)

Since the new machines are a fair bit faster than my machine, I can't imagine you would have any issues...

10. dschiller thread starter macrumors regular

It's good to hear that.

I guess I'll just wait for some more extensive benchmark tests of the new iMac to be released and if they don't have any bad surprises, I'll settle for one (can't wait anymore:p)

Cheers
    Daniel