Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will the new iPads bend rather easily?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Folks, what do we think? Can Apple laugh in the face of physics, or will these things bend out of shape the first time you squeeze one into an overstuffed backpack or when your little old Nana sits down on it when you leave it on the sofa?

Place your bets!

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
It won't bend unless you force it. People will force it and say it's a flaw or something.
The internet is already littered with stories of the existing iPad Pros bending, or being bent on delivery. Sitting on one by accident or sticking it in a tight backpack will do it with ease, if it did in the older, thicker ones...

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
The internet is already littered with stories of the existing iPad Pros bending, or being bent on delivery. Sitting on one by accident or sticking it in a tight backpack will do it with ease, if it did in the older, thicker ones..

So is this more fragile than the previous ones? I think yes, but not by much, and the previous ones weren't fragile at all. But if you neglect something sensitive like this it will break.

I other words, not an issue (should have said that to begin with)

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
So is this more fragile than the previous ones? I think yes, but not by much, and the previous ones wenret fragile at all. If you neglect something sensitive like this it will break.
Then why were Apple delivering bent ones and saying it's "normal"?

At this level of thin, every extra mm will make a serious impact, unless they're using a lot more titanium for rigidity.

Edit: I wouldn't call a single error in the lifespan of a device, like sitting on it on a bed or sofa, or putting it in a tight backpack "neglect". They shouldn't be crazy fragile.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Tips to avoid bending :
- don’t sit on it, or fall asleep on it
- don‘t try to bend it on purpose
- use a case when you put the iPad in a bag.
Yep. A hard case. And don't make a single mistake ever. Exactly.

• Angry
Reactions: AlexMac89

Yourbigpalal83

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2015
My 13 inch pro is going to live on its Magic Keyboard on my desk. Im fully using it as a laptop with touch screen functionality. No way shape or form am i using it beyond that configuration. If i want an Ipad i want to take with me, lay in bed with, ill get myself a Ipad Mini or just use my Iphone 15 Pro Max.

Reactions: MTShipp

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
My 13 inch pro is going to live on its Magic Keyboard on my desk. Im fully using it as a laptop with touch screen functionality. No way shape or form am i using it beyond that configuration. If i want an Ipad i want to take with me, lay in bed with, ill get myself a Ipad Mini or just use my Iphone 15 Pro Max.
Personally I'd just buy a Mac Mini if it was to live only on my desk, but I don't need the touchscreen on my desk.

Reactions: Ruftzooi

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sure it’s thin but if people take care should be non issue

Maybe Apple just wants people to take out Apple care lol

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
I suspect it was also much heavier
It’s always going to be a trade off
Yep, the M4 Pro is 2/3 of the weight it was. I never found it heavy, but then I'm also bigger than average 😅

ric22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
It is. Will the iPad have bending issues? Yes, under the right conditions. Obviously.
I'm not sure how it was possible to miss the point of the thread...

Basically I was enquiring whether people think the device needs to be babied. Will people start moaning after a few months because it bent easier than they expected, with no deliberate attempt to harm their expensive gadget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.