Will the new iPhone be an evolution or a revolution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Based on the rumors and everything we know about the new iPhone, do you think it'll be a revolution or an evolution... I have the original iPhone, and I'm wondering if the new iPhone this summer will have enough for me to shell out the money for. If it's like the upgrade from v1 to v2, then I probably won't upgrade... I can't wait until the summer!

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Evolution.

The original iPhone was a revolution.

3. Almy macrumors 6502

The original iPhone was a revolution, especially with it's long term goals. Every software and harware update from then on is a gradual evolution.

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The new iPhone is going to be just that, a new iPhone.

5. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

How about as compared to the edge to 3G.... Do you think it'll be more of an upgrade than that?

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Evolution.

There will not be another revolution until there's a new, different product that goes alongside the iPhone.

Like, on the iPod side, look at the original iPod and follow it up to the current iPod Classic. NO other revolutions occurred, just an evolution. The revolutions were the iPod Shuffle and iPod touch.

Likewise, the current iPhone will continue to evolve. Nothing more and nothing less. It's possible Apple will come out with a more revolutionary phone, but it's probably an entirely different product that will be another option, not a replacement.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

That probably depends on what features are most important to you. If a better camera, video capture, and better hardware (processor/RAM) are more important to you than 3G and GPS then yes.

But regardless, if you still have an iphone 2G like you and I do then the upgrade to the new iphone will really be two upgrades - to 3G and GPS and to whatever new the next iphone has. So even if the jump from 2G to 3G is as big or bigger than from 3G to the next iphone, I'm definitely getting the new one.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Nope. That was a pretty big upgrade, evidenced by the huge sales increase (the price drop didn't hurt). It also added GPS, which will be a huge step when navigation apps with TBT hit the App Store.

I'm guessing maybe a slight body change, doubling of storage at each price point and a better camera w/video recording. The 32GB option will be huge for people like me who NEED MORE SPACE, but none of that compares to the big bump in speed.

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I wouldn't call it a revolution for the cellphone industry because all Apple is adding are standard features most other smartphones have had for years. However, I might consider it a revolution for Apple because it seems they have finally listened to their customers and are adding a bunch of features people have been constantly clamoring for.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Bumping specs higher (better camera, more memory, faster processor) is the definition of "evolutionary."

I mean, if you're talking about some other feature, say so, but otherwise you're just describing evolution.

11. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

obviously its evolution, but if there were a front facing camera for ichat video calls over wifi, i would say there was some slight revolution

12. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

No it wasn't, it was lame. GPS isn't even useful until, as you say, turn-by-turn navigation apps hit the app store - about the time the new iPhone is released, ironically. The boost in sales is largely attributed to the subsidized price and general uneasiness buying the first year model of a product.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

You're missing my point. People have been begging for basic features for years (c/p or mms, for example). These complaints have, up until now, fallen on deaf ears. That Apple (usually an extremely stubborn company) is listening to these consumers is revolutionary.

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Agreed. Besides subsidized pricing (by far, the #1 reason sales skyrocketed), it was also introduced into many new markets, which lead to more sales. The addition of a crippled GPS did not fuel the huge sales increase.

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

Adding features others have had for years is revolutionary?

Edit: Missed the ichat over wi-fi part, but still, that still seems like an evolution-thing, rather than revolution, as I have been able to do video calls for a long, long time. I don't do it, though – I really don't see a purpose.

16. spikedfo macrumors regular

You call it a new iPhone. Obviously, it still an iPhone.

Evolution.

17. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I think the hardware changes - the video camera, possible front facing camera and magnetowhadchamacallit - coupled with the new APIs in 3.0 could give us some revolutionary software made for the new iPhone. The hardware might not be revolutionary, but hopefully the developers will give us something which is.

18. genmic macrumors regular

I just hope they stop making them out of glossy plastic. The iPhone needs to be cool again, 3G was a disappointment :(

They need to go back to the original dimensions and form-factor (if not a bit thinner/sleeker), aluminum sexiness without plastic black part, upgrade the features/software to include all the things we should have had all along, and then I will buy a new iPhone. It would be even better if it wasn't ridiculously overpriced w/o subsidy, but that will probably never happen.

19. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You don't understand what the word revolution means, I'm afraid.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Revolution: a sudden, complete, or marked change in something. (dictionary.com).

I'm afraid you are too fanboy to see that Apple has been incredibly stubborn over the last 2 years in terms of crippling the iPhone's function. Now, they seem to have lightened up and allowing an excellent device do what it is capable of.

21. diemos macrumors 6502

evolution, hopefully the rumored netbook will be revolution.

22. loveumms macrumors newbie

Hopefully they will make it much sturdier too. My iphone fell two feet and the screen shattered. I've had many PDAs and smart phones which have gone through much higher impacts without as much as a scratch.

23. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Your example isn't indicative of revolution on Apple's part in any way whatsoever. Apple hasn't started listening to customers at all - customers have bitched about a variety of features that 3.0 won't offer, and it has continued to operate in a very closed environment. Thus, while the trend might be moving toward more openness on Apple's part, it is in no way an indication of revolution. My pointing out how you misunderstand the words you use doesn't make me a fanboy, either. (Another word you apparently don't understand.) :rolleyes: