Will the new iPhone be announced at WWDC or it's own event?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jpsimon, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jpsimon macrumors member

What is the consensus based on rumors/truths about when the next iPhone is actually getting announced? Do we think it'll be announced along with the final version of 3.0 at WWDC or will it get it's own "special" event?

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I'm not even sure if Apple 100% knows this yet. It all depends when they will be able to have the next physical upgrade ready. Because the software and hardware will definitely be released within a week of each other like last year. And Apple wouldn't want to announce a new iphone over a month before it is released (I know it was close to a month last time).

Personally I think they will be able to get it together and announce it. With a release a few weeks later. But you never know.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It depends on how much is going to be introduced at WWDC. We know for sure they have to talk about Snow Leopard, as no public demo has been shown yet.

But then again original iPhone users' 2-year contracts end June 29. Therefore, they'll want to lock us back in as quickly as possible.

4. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

It will be announced at WWDC in June no new event. . . That's THE event lol :cool:

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Announced at WWDC, the latest release date was slated for July 17th but it was looking like it would be postponed by a week (I was working for Apple up until three weeks ago).

6. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I'll bite. So, what do you know about the new iphone?

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Can you also tell us what new features will be in the phone please?

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

As has been explained 500,000 times, this means NOTHING. Original buyers who shelled out $500/$600 did not get a price discount on their phones. Therefore, they were mostly eligible to buy the iPhone 3G when it came out a year later. I bought a refurb iPhone about a year ago and have been eligible to buy a new one since September.

Also, not everybody bought one on the first day. Purchases were spread out over months, and many more bought phones in 2008. The contract date running out has almost nothing to do with this. Apple wanting to refresh the models every year at about the same point is the key goal, just like is done with the other products (iPods in September/October, Mac Pros usually early in the year).

9. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Usually iPhone events take place in late October. So there ya go.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Moscone West - still an unknown event in May

A while back the WWDC dates were worked out by looking at the Moscone West event diary.
    But - there's still an unconfirmed event in late May.
    Any thoughts? Is this usual for Moscone West?

O2 reps have been denyig any new model, or at least that it's be bi shipped too near WWDC - saying that they would have started training on it by now.

Need more feedback and rumors I guess.

11. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

:eek: that you joined 7 years ago and are still a 'newbie'.

12. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Definitely at WWDC. The iPhone 3G was announced at WWDC 08, plus the promotional material on Apple's website and emails and everything has had the iPhone being the main feature. The iPhone will definitely be the highlight of the event.

13. jpsimon thread starter macrumors member

haha you're the first person that has noticed that

14. randomusername macrumors 6502

The iPhone 3G was announced at WWDC '08 so this'll definitely be announced there, too. The iPhone OS is a big platform for developers now so of course they're going to announce the hardware at WWDC '09.