Will the new iPhone be HSPA+ ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doubleatheman, May 27, 2010.

1. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

It seems this question would have already been asked, but a forum search didn't find much.

This may be a stupid question, but AT&T typically has updated it's networks with each iPhone roll out. It seems Apple and AT&T alays work it out where the iPhone will always be using the latest network as soon as it becomes available.

2007: Just before the original iPhone launch EDGE speeds were boosted from ~120kbps to ~200kbps

2008: When the iPhone 3g Launched AT&T made a big push to get 3g into more areas, (areas that already had 3g got a bump from 1.6mbps to 3.2 mbps?)

2009: When the 3gs Launched AT&T was rolling out 850mhz and 7mbps 3G

2010: When the new iPhone launches AT&T will be rolling out 14mbps 3g HSPA+

It only seems the new iPhone would have this ability.

2. phrint macrumors 6502

I think Apple would have some balls to include HSPA+ in the new iPhone considering that AT&T would take years to implement. Why even tout that as a feature when LTE is coming in 2011? HSPA+ is useless if there is no network to use it on.

I'm still waiting to use my 3GS on AT&T's so-called 7.2 mbps 3G network that is non-existent.

3. JediZenMaster macrumors 68020

JediZenMaster

Then you will be waiting forever then, 7.2 is not real world speeds. the iPhone would overheat or your battery life would be non existent if you were getting 7.2.

4. tuna macrumors 6502

I don't think thats true. I think that AT&T finished their 7.2Mb rollout to the planned ~90% of their 3G network. And according to reports I'm reading, they're planning on doing the same with 14.4Mb HSPA+ within 2010. Their plan is to have their HSPA+ network covering 250 million people by the end of this year (2010). In contrast, their roadmap is to launch LTE (the true 4G wireless tech) in select markets in 2H 2011 at the earliest.

I predict that the iPhone 4G will support HSPA+. The iPhone 3GS was one of the earliest pieces of hardware for AT&T to support their new 7.2Mb HSPA and considering that a complete HSPA+ rollout is being done within this year, I can't imagine that Apple wouldn't want to stay competitive by including the new hardware. Furthermore, HSPA+ is already being used by many foreign carriers to deliver theoretical speeds sometimes up to 30 to 40Mbps. So the iPhone 4G would need HSPA+ hardware to be compatible with those networks too. Finally, T-Mobile is also rolling out their own comprehensive HSPA+ network this year, and they have been serving it to Philadelphia as a test market for a while and tech blogs that tested it claimed that it blew every other 3G network away in terms of speeds.

5. tuna macrumors 6502

I don't think that has anything to do with it. 7.2 is the theoretical max bandwidth which you should get near is your phone was directly adjacent to the cell tower and if nobody else is using the network. Then there are lots of signal loss, overhead, and network congestion. Its just like how your 5MBps DSL connection never actually delivers 5Mbps.

6. profets macrumors 68040

There's many networks outside the US that it could be used on. And who knows, maybe AT&T will do upgrades to hspa+ as well.

In Canada we have multiple hspa+ 21mbps networks. How useful 21mbps (theoretical max) would be on a phone though who knows..

7. doubleatheman thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

We all know of course that the speeds they say of 14mbps is unrealistic.

Speeds of 2-5mbps are much more realistic expectations.

AT&T is rolling out 14mbps this year, it is the stepping stone between 3G and LTE.

I really hope the new iPhone has it.

When we went from 3.2mbps to 7mbps I noticed a speed boost, still amazingly slow, but better.

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Exactly, people seem to forget that the iPhone is in more countries than just the US. Almost everywhere else in the world that carries the iPhone has HSPA+ 21mbps, so it wouldn't be too far out to hope for HSPA+ in the next iPhone. I think that would be pretty cool to have faster speeds on my phone than I get at home. :D

9. Applelip macrumors newbie

What are you guys smoking? I own a business here in Miami fl and I get 3 mbps down on At&t 3G and 1.2 mbps up (yes, these are actual speeds), and I live in coral springs Florida which I'm able to achieve 3.5 mbps down and 1.2 mbps up. These speeds showed up right after at&t announced there 7.2 mbps roll out. I must note that I do have the nexus one, and processing speed tests on must phones differ based on available ram and the processor. Also just to note that sprint rolled out there so called 4G network which is running from 3-6mbps.

The great advantages to GSM HSPA networks is that they are not capped like Verizon and Sprint Evdo Rev A/0 CDMA Networks are now, which will make Verizon's Lte roll out a little more complicated with slow 3G speeds when Lte signals are spotty and not available. At&t on the other hand will have the HSPA+ implemented at by the time Lte is rolled out and covarage will be more like 3.5G/4G.

10. snoopy07 macrumors member

T-Mobile is upgrading to HSPA+ wireless technology standard. The expansion and customer availability of its HSPA+ super-fast mobile broadband network will deliver 4G speeds. Time will tell if the iphone gets a new home.

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That all depends on AT&T. The technology itself is capable; I've seen real-world speeds of 15-17 Mb/s with an HSPA+ data card. Hopefully AT&T will do the necessary backhaul upgrades, but I have my doubts :(