Will the new LED Display work With old MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by engles, Oct 20, 2008.

1. engles macrumors regular

I was wondering if anyone knows if apple will offer a cable to allow older MacBook Pro with the full size DV port to connect with the new mini display connector on the LED Display. I have a penryn 17" MBP and Would love to get a new LED display but I don't know if it will work. any help is greatly appreciated.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I was just about ready to post a similar thread. I think the better question is:

Is there a DVI to Mini Displayport adaptor? If so, then we should have no problem.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Seems like that would be a bad idea. You wouldn't be able to use many of the display's features, such as the power supply and possibly the speakers (if the audio is transmitted through the displayport interface).

You'd be paying quite a premium for a display that wouldn't really be any better than the alternatives. It would make a lot more sense to just buy the regular 23 inch apple cinema display.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

You make an excellent point. The only caveat is that I plan on buying one of the new Macbooks... I just want to wait until the Core i7 chips come out. So basically I'd be forgoing some of the features now, but when the new chips are released, then I'd be using them all...

5. engles thread starter macrumors regular

well the power supply is through magsafe and the usb is through a usb plug. so you are right we would loose the benefits of the built in mic, the built in isight, and the built in speakers. so unless that can be converted somehow you are right. This is very disappointing that apple does not provide an option for the older mbp's perhaps an included cable that converts the mini display to the DVI port and then also splits the mic/isight/speakers to usb or firewire. May be bulky but could be sweet.

6. engles thread starter macrumors regular

if you don't need a display right now i would recommend waiting because it may drop in price by the time the new macbooks come out... or they may offer different sizes.

7. ddarko macrumors 6502

There's been like a dozen threads about this on the forums but YES, Apple makes and sells a mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter. You plug the mini DisplayPort end in the 24" LED monitor and the DVI end into your older Macbook Pro. Here is the product

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570?mco=MTkzODk0NQ

Apple advertises it as connecting your new Macbook Pro with mini DisplayPort to an older monitor with DVI but there's no reason why it can't be switched, with the mini DisplayPort going into the monitor and the DVI end being used with the notebook.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That adaptor is for connecting the new MacBooks to monitors with a DVI socket. It doesn't say it will work the other way around with old MacBook models and the new display.

9. engles thread starter macrumors regular

No that will not work. To adapt from the old DVI port you need a male DVI to female Mini Display port that adapter has a male mindisplay and a female DVI. wrong way!

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

Has anyone actually seen one of these available yet?

I think there's enough interest in this, so Apple may motivated to offer one.

11. ddarko macrumors 6502

My mistake, I stand corrected. You gotta expect Apple or one of Apple's partners will offer this solution soon enough because it encourages Apple users to upgrade to the newest Apple monitor and any subsequent monitors Apple releases.

12. Jase2008 macrumors newbie

Jase2008

i have been thinking alot about an adaptor coming out for me to use my old mbp with the new led monitor.

I saw it in the apple shop in glasgow today and it did look very nice!

However, i have decided to go with a 32" samsung lcd tv, with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 , so it should show my laptop display fine. it also has the benefit of me being able to run my xbox 360 thru it, something i couldnt do with the new led monitor.

at least i dont think i could??

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd never use a TV as my monitor. First, the pixel pitch will be a lot wider. So the same number of pixels 1920 x 1200 is on both monitors, the 24" ACD and the 32" TV, but if you are using it in close range the 32" will look really blurry, whereas the 24" is a lot more crisp and sharp. Although you can set the output to be 2560 x 1600, but most TVs do not support that.

14. Jase2008 macrumors newbie

Jase2008

i know what you mean, but id like the option to use my xbox through the monitor. I may just resort to getting a 26" lcd monitor, which has vga input for games console as well as a dvi input for my mbp

15. teejaysplace24 macrumors newbie

That's a good point, actually - one that I myself had not yet considered. It would certainly explain why Apple was not as forthcoming with the aforementioned adapter. I recall mention being made of iSight being powered via USB; however, now that I think of it, that MAY have referred to the iSight and keyboard on the new MacBook Pros.

If this is the case, I feel it would be an extremely strange decision on the part of Apple not to offer some sort of backwards compatibility, particularly considering that they would be missing out on a large amount of sales. Moreover, many Mac Pro users have been waiting (and waiting) for a solution to the iSight display and current Mac Pros obviously do not support the new DisplayPort standard. Perhaps once they have had time to move some initial MacBook units - which is my suspicion = they will address other users more earnestly. If the technology were feasible to the least extent, t wouldn't make a lot of business sense to do otherwise, as they will no doubt be updating the rest of the line in the near future.