Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I think the removal of the headphone jack is exactly for the benefit of future design, though. They're just trying to get it out the way now to soften the blow.

Although I will agree — I cannot see an appropriate aesthetic justification for its removal in the iPhone 7 — I have no doubt that future iterations simply cannot coexist with the headphone jack.

As I said, soften the blow now.

Removing it altogether before it's even necessary to do so is the exact opposite of softening the blow! What would not softening the blow look like?

Softening the blow would be shipping the iPhone 7 with lightning or Bluetooth earbuds but keeping the headphone jack to maintain compatibility with older accessories, then remove it next gen when people have gotten to try the new standard.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Removing it altogether before it's even necessary to do so is the exact opposite of softening the blow! What would not softening the blow look like?

That's exactly what softening the blow is. Get the tough, shellshock decision out of the way; take the flak, take the mockery, then you're a little more free to do what you need to down the line.

Again, I massively disagree with the decision. I'd wager my passion against its removal is even more than yours. Although I cannot respect the decision or justify it, I can understand why a company as forward-thinking as Apple would make that choice.

But hey, I still miss the Line-in jacks on the MacBook Pros.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
That's exactly what softening the blow is. Get the tough, shellshock decision out of the way; take the flak, take the mockery, then you're a little more free to do what you need to down the line.

Again, I massively disagree with the decision. I'd wager my passion against its removal is even more than yours. Although I cannot respect the decision or justify it, I can understand why a company as forward-thinking as Apple would make that choice.

But hey, I still miss the Line-in jacks on the MacBook Pros.

No, softening the blow is doing something to make the transition easier. This is ripping off the bandaid to get the pain over with quicker. To be fair, there's something to be said for both strategies, but they're not the same thing.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No, softening the blow is doing something to make the transition easier. This is ripping off the bandaid to get the pain over with quicker. To be fair, there's something to be said for both strategies, but they're not the same thing.

Hmm yes, you're definitely right! Allow me to elaborate; if they said it was waterproof as a result, then it's softening the blow.

If not, then they're ripping off the band-aid.

Deal? :D

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Hmm yes, you're definitely right! Allow me to elaborate; if they said it was waterproof as a result, then it's softening the blow.

If not, then they're ripping off the band-aid.

Deal? :D

I'd say that's more like ripping off the bandaid, but then giving a lollipop for being a trooper and taking it. :p

Reactions: keysofanxiety

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
When the iPhone first came out there was an Android phone released by the name of G1. It had no headphone jack and had to use a special set of headphones that plugged into the usb connection.

For good reason it was mocked. Now 10 years later Apple and Apple thinks this is now a good idea. Le sigh....

Bluetooth then wasn't anything like it is today. I can count the number of times I've used the headphone jack in the last 2 years on 1 hand. It was only when I messed up and let my Bluetooth headphones battery die or when in an old car at work that didn't have USB input.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Bluetooth then wasn't anything like it is today. I can count the number of times I've used the headphone jack in the last 2 years on 1 hand. It was only when I messed up and let my Bluetooth headphones battery die or when in an old car at work that didn't have USB input.

Power charging now is still what it was then.

I'm not a fan of having only one port for everything. It's the same reason why I have not purchased a rMB.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if they never even say the words "headphone jack" just to avoid any potential awkwardness. They'll just talk about the waterproofing, the two sets of speakers on the bottom, and why lightning/Bluetooth headphones are superior. They can show the phone from all angles and let people notice the obvious themselves rather than give everyone a specific moment to react to it as a group.

That being said, could you imagine if the crowd started a headphone jack chant? Sorry Apple, but I would laugh.

That's exactly what Apple will do. Their not going to stand there and explain their reasons for deleting the Jack. That's not how Apple Operates. They don't need to explain to anyone on how they operate or why they made changes . Do they explain to the audience how much Ram is implemented into the iPhone and iPad? Never. And another reason is time constraints on the Key Note, if they explained everything, it would be an all day event.

They will focus on the updated features and why those are pertinent to the Consumer.

Reactions: joeblow7777

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
No one is making anyone buy the new iPhone. If the 3.5 mm headphone jack is that important to you and Apple removes it, there are plenty of other options out there for you to choose from including the iPhone 6S and the iPhone SE. Everyone kept grousing the exact same way when the removed the CD/DVD drive and it has zero effect.
[doublepost=1470767652][/doublepost]
There are a lot of people who are passionate about the headphone jack
There are also an awful lot of people who don't give a rat's ass about it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I am in the second category

Reactions: Chew Toy McCoy

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
Probably quiet with a few claps and maybe a bit of laughter. There could be one or two boos but i'm not sure. I can't see anybody getting excited.

I guess they will have part of the crowd briefed to start cheering, whooping and what have you not when they come with this innovation, not to mention the iSheep that appreciate anything Apple puts out - so you will be hearing the cheers

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Softening the blow would be Apple including an adapter in the box for free. I'd cheer that if I was in attendance. Sadly Apple will never do this because it can and will get away with not caring about anything but pure profit.

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
There is no need to include a 3.5mm adaptor with the phone. They will include lightning earphones and 90%+ will be perfectly happy with that. Out of the 10% that isn't happy, 8% will grumble and whine as they go online or to the store and buy the $20 adaptor needed to keep using their $200+ headphones/earphones. 1% will buy some super fancy lightning DAC for way more than $20, and 1% or less may actually switch to a different phone manufacturer.

As far as at the keynote itself, pretty much nothing will be said. These are professionals there for a job, not a bunch of armchair quarterbacks sitting at their computers talking about how they can run the company better.

Chew Toy McCoy

macrumors regular
May 13, 2016
I think the removal of the headphone jack is exactly for the benefit of future design, though. They're just trying to get it out the way now to soften the blow.

Although I will agree — I cannot see an appropriate aesthetic justification for its removal in the iPhone 7 — I have no doubt that future iterations simply cannot coexist with the headphone jack.

As I said, soften the blow now.

I also think this design change was purposely leaked to soften the blow at the announcement. Apple doesn't want any predictable reflexive negative reactions at their announcements.

Reactions: na1577

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I don't think there will be any "boos". The people there were invited there, mostly tech reviewers and such. They don't want to be not invited to the next Apple event.

I would think its funny if people do "boo" though. I have a dark sense of humor though.

CAWjr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So no one booed at the announcement, but the silence at the announcement was very apparent for a presentation filled with applause. I also find their reasoning of "courage" to be laughable.

The only benefit I will say is that the adapter is included, it is relatively compact, and only $9 for spares.

Reactions: psac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.