Will the new macbook pro go down in price soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zuzu85, Apr 2, 2009.

1. zuzu85 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if the new macbook pro 17" will go down in price soon? currently it costs £1,949.00...I really want to get it but it's too expensive and I know with the credit crunch situation everything is going down in price, even though apple products don't seem to be effective by this whole thing, but I'm hopping that macbook pro will go down in price in few weeks time! anyone got experience with macs and knows how to get the best deal?? please help....btw I will be using it for my graphic work and might start doing some video editing as well.....thanks :)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Is that higher than the previous model? If not, don't expect a price decrease any time... ever.

If it is, when the global economy stops sucking, it should go down a bit.

3. zuzu85 thread starter macrumors newbie

ya it is slightly higher in price than the previous model, I just don't want to blow all my money on it as I'm out of work yet my pc is really old and needs replacing! tough choice :S

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Apple rarely lowers the price of their computers. They typically upgrade the line at the same price point. They recently did some updates so I wouldn't expect to see any changes for a while.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

In the past Apple has reduced prices only:

1) When they have a inventory greater than two months, which never really happens anymore

and

2) When a model has been discontinued and they need to flush out remaining inventory.

That said, at least in the U.S., I've seen more retailers discounting Macs I've previously seen. I don't know what the scene in the U.K. is though.

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I doubt it.

Prices tend to generally stay the same. Apple adds in features as time goes by to justify no price decrease.

Only places you'll find cheaper 17" MBP's and refurb online, or through Brick-and-Mortars such a John Lewis for example. Either way, not new models. Seconds or ex-demo, and for ex-demo you'll have to wait a while.

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

I agree with MagicWok, the price will stay the same but what you get for your money will increase slightly with time.

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

You can save a few hundred dollars by shopping at a reseller. That's what I wanted to do with mine but Apple was too slow in supplying the resellers so I just bought direct.

Here is a site to compare prices. It looks like $300 cheaper for the base 17"

http://www.pcprices.net/macbookpro17.shtml

9. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

if you don't have a job then suck it up and continue to use your old computer until you can afford to spend on a new one. it's a bad time to be spending money if you don't really have to.

11. macDonalds macrumors 6502

But... he's helping the economy by pumping money into it.

I say if you're not charging it (read: racking up more debt), then do it!

Warm Regards,
    Your Economy

12. zuzu85 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone for the helpful answers and actually i found a cheaper solutions which is to give up the portability feature of the macbook and buy the imac 24-inch: 2.66GHz which costs £1,199.00 that will save me £750 pro and it got a bigger screen and the hard drive is double size! hopefully I will be able to by the macbook next year or so cause I'll still be dying for one :S do you guys think i reached a wise decision?

Btw my nickname might be a bit misleading but I'm not a guy as some of you thought! :p