Will the new MacBook Pros sell out!?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stayfly2407, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Haven't seen this much hype on a MacBook before. Do you think they will actually sell out after they get announced on 10/27??

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yes, I'm 100% certain they'll be supply-constrained for the rest of the year. In other words, if you want to take delivery of one before the end of November - get your order in the moment they are available to buy.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is so much pent up demand, that they'll be selling out fairly quickly imo

4. derek916 macrumors member

they are popular to us but I don't know if the general public will be mashing the refresh button to buy a MacBook the second they go for sale

5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

They will be sold out for marketing reasons, as usual for Apple.

6. mskx4 macrumors newbie

mskx4

are macs usually available in high-tech stores the day they go on sale? Or Apple Store only?

7. jwpoof macrumors member

This really comes down to supply, as opposed to demand. To be sure, there will be unusually high demand for these machines, but it's nothing like the phones or the early iPads. If there are long waits, it will be due to limited supply. When the new Mac Pro debuted, there were very long waits for several of those machines, and yet those are probably the least popular macs in terms of total sales.

B&H, MacMall, places like that, might not have them the day they go on-sale, but they are usually not far behind. In particular, MacMall can be a great alternative to a CTO order, as they frequently carry CTO configurations in-store.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Yes, the delivery dates will push out the longer you wait. As for me, I will be pulling the trigger the second they become available.

If you want to wait for B&H and other retailers to get them in stock, be prepared to wait 1-2 months.

9. grifftaur macrumors regular

I don't think they'll sell out. They've had a long time to prepare for this launch. The demand is fom a few hundred maybe a few thousand users on macrumors wanting it. I bet the average person doesn't even know this event is happening. The macbook was hard because this was a new venture so the were treading cautiously and it was a new device for parts to build and supply.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You don't need a crystal ball for this one, because of so many people waiting and wanting the next gen MBP ;)

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think you'd be surprised how most of the world will not even notice or care about what generation laptop they are buying. A few thousand nerds on macrumours is not representative of the general population who couldn't tell you a single technical spec of the computer they own. I have friends who have no idea what hard drive space they have let alone anything else.

This little closed and fanatical community has been winding itself up for a year and is on the edge of apoplexy but it really means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I disagee, I think consumers as a whole have understood that MBPs have not been updated for quite some time, hence the falling sales, over the past few quarters

I readily expect to see shipment dates to slip rather quickly once people can order the MBPs

14. DNichter macrumors 68030

DNichter

I don't think so. I agree with most here saying that the small community of MacRumors does not reflect the general public. Most of the population will have no idea that these have come out. In fact, I think that more and more people using laptops less (tablets and smartphones more) and the fact that Macs last so long are the main reasons we are seeing a decline. Unless of course, Apple actually stuns us and brings us something completely new? Maybe a cheap ARM MacBook Air? Just to test the waters. Runs macOS and iOS. I feel like with the tagline "hello again", referencing two big announcements, Apple has to have something up their sleeve.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If it is anything like the MacBook, you better place a preorder. Oddly enough they were available for walk ins at bestbuy months before the apple stores had stock.

16. leman macrumors 604

Based on the replies on these forums no-one is going to buy those outdated-on-arrival-too-thin-too-underpowered-port-lacking toys ;)

17. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

I will be placing an order the second it becomes available, but since I live in The Netherlands I'm not even sure it'll be launching on the same date as the US.

Can you make a reservation at the store (don't call it the Apple Store :rolleyes:) for BTO models?

18. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

same way no one was buying those MacBooks :p

19. leman macrumors 604

No serious folk at least. No PRO! Only those damn hipsters and other pointless people :D

(Ok, I stop now, please don't ban me)

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

22. mickeydean macrumors 6502

It depends. Apple won't pre-order as many as they do for the iPhone but there is much less demand for mac compared to an iPhone.

Given the cost of the mac and that PCs aren't too much worse these days. I feel that they've caught up. If Apple don't do too much with the mac there will be some upgrading and some new Mac users but this overwhelming demand that others have alluded is not apparent to me.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It really will be hard to gauge demand. More expensive, more people turning towards tablets or MacBook style PCs, etc. Those things all lead to me thinking the supply will be low so the demand will seem high.

I want a new MacBook pro, but I have a MacBook now that does everything I need. I would imagine there are tons of people in a similar position. The current generation pro will suffice for the masses.

24. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It doesn't make sense for the laptops to not sell out quickly. For Apple to make laptops not constrained by supply would cost too much money. However, if they don't have enough available for the holiday season then they're shooting themselves in the foot.

25. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

That's right. Be in a rush to get the first iteration of anything Apple makes! ;)