Will the new macbook suffice for an architecture student

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iwantmymacnow, Oct 15, 2008.

1. iwantmymacnow macrumors newbie

Hi just wondering, will the new macbook's nvida graphics card suffice for an architecture student using cad and photoshop programs? or will i still have to buy the mbp? now the mbp is even more expensive (i'm in australia and it's now over 3 grand!) it would be awesome if i can just go the macbook (and also for the better portability). Thanks!

2. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Long story short = YES

The 9400M chip is almost up there with the 8600GT.

3. iwantmymacnow thread starter macrumors newbie

Fantastic! This is great news! Was not keen on spending over $3000 just because of the graphics card :) Thanks.

4. new2macx macrumors member

Now that's encouraging (soon-to-be Archi student here)....another rethink methinks! :D 2.4GHz MB for me then...:confused:

5. drewx2 macrumors newbie

Personally I think the screen is too small for maximum productivity. I hate doing any web development / programming on a notebook, not to mention, I love dual large monitors.

As far as power goes, it should be plenty fine.

6. P.B. macrumors member

I'm a student of architecture and my choice will always be the macbook pro.
    not because of the power but mainly because of the larger display.
    you really don't want to layout Din A0 plans, use photoshop and archicad on a 13'' screen.

7. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

8. new2macx macrumors member

Hi! *waves* :D . The screen size wouldn't really be a problem as I'd use it with an external display. I'd like the portability of the 13". Ok, looks like a 2.4 MB for me then. I'll upgrade the RAM to 4GB as well, and see how it goes.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As long as you have an external display, you're fine. ;)

10. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Just keep in mind that to use a 30" external display you'd need a mini-DP to dual link DVI adapter for $99...

11. new2macx macrumors member

I think the max. size display I'd be using would be 24". Those adapters are such a rip-off aren't they! :rolleyes:

12. sutom macrumors newbie

So the new MBs would be fine running on a 22/24" external display then?

I'm in a similar position to the OP but a design student so only need to use Adobe CS4 really (PS, Illustrator, InDesign).

Hi btw :)

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Yup, save up and get Apple's new LED Cinema Display; 24", 3 USB ports, speakers, and a Magsafe charger!

14. sutom macrumors newbie

Excellent. I already have a Samsung screen, so maybe I'll see about the ACD in the future. I can only just afford a MB right now :)

15. new2macx macrumors member

Me too! I like the look of those new displays...ouchy in my wallet though :eek: I just ordered my MB by phone: "Would you like more RAM? No thank you. Bigger hard-drive? No. Case? No. Accessories? No. Just the standard MacBook then?" Yes yes yes! (I've given them far too much of my money already- I need to replace these rags I've been wearing whilst I've been saving up lol) :D