Will the New MBA's Have A Weaker GPU?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rmbrown09, May 11, 2011.

1. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Like the MBP 13" line, it went from what we have now (a GT 330m) to HD 3000 Intel integrated graphics. These bench weaker than the previous gen Nvidia counter part.

Could we see weaker GPU's? I already have a hard enough time playing Portal and CSS. Obviously i5's and i7's are in the next lot, but without a decent GPU, I am going to be very sad.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The HD3000 in the MBPs is almost exactly the same as the 320m it replaced. However in the lower voltage chips, it has reduced clocks, so it's possible that the GPU would be a bit weaker.

3. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Yes, the graphics may take a wee bit of a hit, but the tradeoff will be for vastly superior CPU performance. For further information, please see one of the dozens of existing threads on this topic.

4. mayhone1 macrumors regular

Maybe but if it happens i'm sure we'll have something better in the trade off!:apple:

5. Stuart in Oz macrumors 6502

Going from memory of reviews I've read, but doesn't the new HD3000/Core i combination shift most video processing tasks onto dedicated hardware for the first time?

ie: Gaming performance may well take a hit but video playback, encoding and transcoding are supposed to be significantly improved in speed with reduced power consumption? Which covers by far the most common graphics-intensive operations most people undertake.

6. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

fellas, it's going to be meet or exceed current specs i guarantee it

7. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    buy a 15" MBPro and be happy :D

8. karlth macrumors regular

I think you'll find that the most graphic-intensive operations most people undertake is game playing. Video playback doesn't really stress the newer cpus if that is all you are doing.

9. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Keep in mind the driver support for the 320m is much better than the IG3000.

10. JusChexin, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

JusChexin macrumors member

Out of total ignorance/curiosity, is it possible that updated drivers could be issued/developed in the future or are the current drivers for the IG3000 as good as it gets for that integrated GPU?

11. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I'm sure drivers will develop with time, but that is only half the battle. The companies who make the programs have to make their programs work well with Intel IGP. This is something that doesn't have much support in the past, and it has mostly been with nVidia and AMD. Although now that Intel is shoving their IGP down people's throats then these companies will have to adapt.