Will the new MBP have SSD as standard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mxulive, Feb 16, 2011.

?

Do you think the new MBP's will have SSD as standard?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    37.4%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    62.6%
  1. mxulive macrumors newbie

I know there is no way to truly know whether or not the new MBP's will have SSD as standard, but the purpose of this poll is to gauge the opinion of consumers here who have experience with Mac... and hopefully the majority vote will have display some inclination to what will actually happen, which we will probably find out in a few weeks.

And I think this would be an interesting poll to have considering what a significant difference the SSD makes (as we've seen in the new MBA).

2. bossmanjunior macrumors member

bossmanjunior

im thinking it will have a small ssd for boot drive and standard hdd also. maybe a mPCI like intel 310 or something. or blade like in the air. would be nice

3. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

Surely they'll have to now? Seeing as the MBP is meant to be the 'pro' line of their laptops. To have one of the cheapest laptops they make use a technically more advanced part than the pro line wouldn't make sense.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Except it would. Sure, SSDs are faster and newer, but they don't provide nearly as much space, cost way too much, and will wear out with continuous reads and writes. Most "pros" need a lot more than 256GB of storage, but don't want to pay $1400 for a 512GB SSD and don't like carrying around externals. The only thing I could see as standard is maybe a 40GB chip to use as a boot/apps drive, but I think even that is pushing it.

5. mxulive thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow it looks like so far the opinion on the SSD is break-even...

6. electronique macrumors 6502

7. kx22 macrumors member

The current 13" pro cost here 1150 euros. The Air cost 1299 for an 128GB SSD. Now place it in the 13" Pro and u will pay at least 1400 euro for the Pro. Ik know that 250 euro is the normal price of having a 128 GB SSD.

I think a lot of users will buy the normal Macbook instead of the Pro if the price changed that much. But the normal Macbook doesnt look that good compared to the solid aluminum.

8. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Took me a minute, but I finally got it. Shut the "F" up and wait for the official apple announcement.

There, now I can relax.

As can we all.

9. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

I voted No. The price is just too damn high. Selling computers is their primary goal (outside of the iOS devices).

That is good to see on an Apple rumors message board. "Stop posting your predictions/opinions until after the official announcement"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. grawk macrumors 6502

grawk

I believe the SSD will become the primary option on all macs soon. Much like the switch to SATA, apple is concerned with reliability more than cost. Current sata drives are becoming less reliable in a time when apple banks on increased reliability. That plus the inherent speed advantage will lead to apple (and many others, I believe) replacing the primary drive in most computers with SSD. The days of spinning magnetic media in computers, especially computers that are at all mobile, are numbered.

11. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

[​IMG]

The SSD price is too damn high.

12. Brettla macrumors regular

SATA is the drive interface, even the blade style SSDs use a form of SATA, so I don't think that the interface has anything to do with being unreliable. I know that SSDs aren't as reliable as platter style drives yet, I've seen many get RMA'ed within the first few weeks of use, not the Apple ones, but the standard 2.5 inch style.

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Haha, post of the day.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

On 15 an 17 inch probably because those things cost like 1799 dollars or higher.

On 13 inch base model for 1199 dollars? Huh.... Maybe, but chance is slim.

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

If anything, small SSD boot/applications drive and regular HDD

16. mxulive thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like we're finally starting to see a discrepancy in opinions!

17. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually the numbers have the ssd at a longer average lifespan than a conventional hdd.
    The number of writes it would take to slow an ssd down any considerable amount is well beyond an average computer's lifespan.

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if the mbp were to have ssds then eiether add 1200 to the current price or the ssd will only be like 64gb.

19. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

maybe next refresh, i think its too soon price-wise to put anything usable in there.

20. MoodyMedStudent macrumors member

Probably not this refresh, but maybe the next one after SSD prices drop a bit more.

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No, sorry.

You're going to have a fun time explaining to the average joe why their $4000 13" MBP only has 128 Gb of storage when they $200 acer from walmart comes with a 500 Gb drive, no matter how quick it is.

Hybrid systems won't happen either. 10.6 doesn't have any built in support for such a configuration; for now it's a tasty homemade brew of symbolic links and headaches. The iMac offers such a configuration but of course it's BTO and just shows up as a second drive. Power users who know why they're paying an additional 900 bucks for such a configuration are the ones who will know how to use it.

22. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Standard? Not going to happen. Not this round. Not with SSD prices being what they are.

23. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

maybe they'll put a seagate momentus xt-type drive in there as a compromise? speed and storage. who knows

24. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

In theory, yes, but there are a lot of RMAs on SSDs. If it works to begin with, generally it won't fail quickly, but sometimes they simply don't work.

25. electronique macrumors 6502

Haha.. You git it.
    :p