Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Apple doesn't generally lower prices. They close out an older model or keep an older one around like the white Macbook and reduce the price on it.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Maybe at Macworld 09?

Is this at all feasible?

Sure, but probably not for at least 6+ months, if at all. In the past, they've knocked down the prices on entry-level iBooks and MacBooks a bit, or at least added new features, but such upgrades/refreshes didn't occur until at least 6 months after the release (sometimes up to a year later). Basically, I wouldn't count on it... Or at least I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Sure, but probably not for at least 6+ months, if at all. In the past, they've knocked down the prices on entry-level iBooks and MacBooks a bit, or at least added new features, but such upgrades/refreshes didn't occur until at least 6 months after the release (sometimes up to a year later). Basically, I wouldn't count on it... Or at least I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

They knocked the iPhone's price down after only a month after they looked at the demand.

ohemetophobia

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
They knocked the iPhone's price down after only a month after they looked at the demand.

Yeah, but that was Apple's entry into a market (cell phones) that was unfamiliar territory for them. Once they realized that they'd priced themselves out of the market, they adjusted their prices to better fit the market demand. For laptops? Eh... I don't see any history of Apple doing that with any previous models, and I don't have any reason to believe that this one is any different.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

That's different. Firstly that's a cell phone and that model was the first to enter Apple into the cell phone industry. They realized it was priced wrong against other established smart phones and companies. Apple's computers have been around since the first home computer.

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
They did go through a short stint of lowering price. The entry level MBP got as low as £1299... it was closer to the current prices (£1399) when I bought my iMac in early 07. The MB also dropped £50 or so in 07 or 08.

My plan is to wait until refurbs start showing up. Exactly the same machine with the same warranty for a lot less.

skyton

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2005
england
they pretty much always have three models of the macbook
and then just drop the lowest one off and they all move along one
prices stay pretty much the same

starman0147

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
I think there is a possibility, Christmas is coming so Apple are likely want to capitalise on that fact and putting their price at a premium.

At it's current price i highly doubt it can sustain having the market share it has built up. Even the most avid Apple fans would be slightly hesitant.

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
I doubt it. How long did it take for the MB to sell for under $1000? It's going to be a while. I bet if anything they will make the backlit keyboard standard on all notebooks. There is no reason to offer a lower price on the new MB when they have one below $1000. They just want you to purchase a mac so they can have more of the market share.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.