Will the new MB's go down in price?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jaredtomas, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

Maybe at Macworld 09?

Is this at all feasible?

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Definitely. Apple always starts off at the premium and adjusts to market demand. I'll wait until the at least the first revision.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Apple doesn't generally lower prices. They close out an older model or keep an older one around like the white Macbook and reduce the price on it.

4. ohemetophobia macrumors member

Sure, but probably not for at least 6+ months, if at all. In the past, they've knocked down the prices on entry-level iBooks and MacBooks a bit, or at least added new features, but such upgrades/refreshes didn't occur until at least 6 months after the release (sometimes up to a year later). Basically, I wouldn't count on it... Or at least I certainly wouldn't wait for it.

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

They knocked the iPhone's price down after only a month after they looked at the demand.

6. ohemetophobia macrumors member

Yeah, but that was Apple's entry into a market (cell phones) that was unfamiliar territory for them. Once they realized that they'd priced themselves out of the market, they adjusted their prices to better fit the market demand. For laptops? Eh... I don't see any history of Apple doing that with any previous models, and I don't have any reason to believe that this one is any different.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's different. Firstly that's a cell phone and that model was the first to enter Apple into the cell phone industry. They realized it was priced wrong against other established smart phones and companies. Apple's computers have been around since the first home computer.

8. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

They did go through a short stint of lowering price. The entry level MBP got as low as £1299... it was closer to the current prices (£1399) when I bought my iMac in early 07. The MB also dropped £50 or so in 07 or 08.

My plan is to wait until refurbs start showing up. Exactly the same machine with the same warranty for a lot less.

9. marvel2 macrumors 6502

They were just released, now we're talking about price drops?

10. skyton macrumors 6502

they pretty much always have three models of the macbook
    and then just drop the lowest one off and they all move along one
    prices stay pretty much the same

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I doubt it. Much more likely would be to add new features at the same price point.

12. starman0147 macrumors member

I think there is a possibility, Christmas is coming so Apple are likely want to capitalise on that fact and putting their price at a premium.

At it's current price i highly doubt it can sustain having the market share it has built up. Even the most avid Apple fans would be slightly hesitant.

13. BLACK MAC macrumors 6502

I doubt it. How long did it take for the MB to sell for under $1000? It's going to be a while. I bet if anything they will make the backlit keyboard standard on all notebooks. There is no reason to offer a lower price on the new MB when they have one below $1000. They just want you to purchase a mac so they can have more of the market share.

14. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Unlikely.

Apple has very rarely lowered Mac prices in the past few years.