Will the new multitouch glass trackpad work when dualbooting?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omgwut, Oct 14, 2008.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

I read that because there are no solid-state buttons now the trackpad is software-based... so does that mean when I dualboot into Windows XP or Vista the trackpad will not be recognized as a hardware device?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I honestly thing apple has put thought into this issue(which really isn't one). Come on now, they would give customers the opportunity to install all kinds of operating systems on their computers, just to give them a non-working trackpad?

3. iondot macrumors member

Because it's not their problem? Apple has been know, from time to time, to ignore such issues.

4. Kaliemon macrumors member

Actually it's Apple's way to keep more people from using windows on a mac.

"If they can't use the mouse then they won't use the OS"

Now back on track, the new trackpad needs new drivers which are most likely in BootCamp already and waiting to be installed.

5. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean its honestly not a huge deal to me, I only dualboot to play PC games anyway, so I use a USB mouse for that.

I was thinking that same thing, maybe there are software drivers in Boot Camp or something.

6. johnsy macrumors 6502

No, but we gladly sell you mighty mouse! It is only $69.99.

7. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

You guys don't understand how it works. The whole trackpad is a button. You can press anywhere and it will click. It's not software related. It's not like the tap option available right now. Just imagine your actual trackpad button like it was also the trackpad.

8. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Probably works the same way as all the rest of the Macbook line works.

Single click, right click, and two fingers to scroll. The old touchpads had a single mouse button, the new one is a giant single mouse button.

9. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

have any of you actually gone to apple's site? it explains a whole bunch of things there.... As someone stated earlier - yes, the trackpad is, in fact, a button. It may sound confusing to some, but actually seems much easier when taking multitouch gestures into account... And as for using it in another partition like windows, linux, etc. - there is nothing to worry about. I'm sure apple will update bootcamp so everything is up-to-date.

Hope that helps! ;)