Will the new TRIM capability in 10.10.4 work with External USB attached SSD

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by brosenz, Jul 1, 2015.

1. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

I have a Samsung 840 SSD connected to my MacBook Pro 10.10.4 via USB 3.0, will the new TRIM (forcetrim) capability on Yosemite work on those external SSDs? Thanks

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

TRIM over USB… never did, and probably never will.
    PS: it's called trimforce, not forcetrim

3. brosenz thread starter macrumors regular

brosenz

Thank you, do you know to TRIM external SSDs?

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Trim IS supported over a Thunderbolt connection, so if trim is that important to you, you can use your external in a Thunderbolt case.
    Enable trim on your system, and the external on Thunderbolt will have trim enabled, too.

5. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

You need an enclosure with a SATA chipset, like a Thunderbolt enclosure ($$$)
    Don't get hung up on TRIM. It's useful but not mandatory.

6. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

USB-SSD user. I'm tracking performance w BlackMagicDesign's DiskSpeedTest. If it starts dropping off more than I like, I'll just reformat and restore from BU. Haven't needed to yet.

7. pnoguchi macrumors newbie

I am using a Crucial M500 as a boot drive in an external enclosure that uses an eSATA to Thunderbolt connector. Have trim enabled by Trimforce with no problems so far. It's a big hoot that TRIM commands are not transmitted over USB or FireWire...

8. brosenz thread starter macrumors regular

brosenz

I haven't been able to find a Thunderbolt - SATA adapter at a reasonable price, do you have a suggestion? thanks

9. pnoguchi, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015

pnoguchi macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, the most inexpensive one that I've seen is the Kanax adapter, which is about the same as an eSATA external drive case.

Ironically, some older PCs and laptops have a couple of eSATA ports that work fine with the eSATA case I have. In fact, that's how I was able to upgrade the Crucial SSD firmware on a older PC ThinkPad laptop.

It's a real shame that Thunderbolt is relatively so expensive compared to USB 3.x; even a Thunderbolt cable is what, $40 about; and Thunderbolt cases and drives are all more expensive than a USB case or drive.

It makes it unfortunately difficult to take advantage of the new trim enable command in 10.10.4 and 10.11 beta. An external drive is so much easier to work with, rather than having to install a SSD internally on a mac.

10. sim667 macrumors 65816

I've been trying to find this out for a whil, is trim something that needs to be running in the background as a realtime process, or can you trim a drive occasionally like you would a verify disk etc?

11. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It's most efficient to enable trim system wide (runs silently all the time). You can however trim manually when wanted. Disksensei provides that ability I believe.