Will the New WD 2TB Drives work in Drobo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrittQ, Jan 18, 2009.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

I am planning buying a Drobo this week for my HTPC storage needs. I read the article on the new 2TB drives form WD coming out soon.

Does anyone know if these should play nice in a Drobo or not? 8TB Drobo.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It says on the website that it supports up to 16TB, so you're good.

3. mpshay macrumors 6502

Make sure you setup the drobo up for 8 Tb (or 16 TB if you think they will be coming out with 4 TB models soon) that way al you will have to do is slide the 2 TB moedls once they start shipping. No rebuilding required.

4. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Are these drives going to be a repeat of Seagate's 1.5TB drives? I get the feeling manufacturer's are reaching the limits of what can be stored on platters limited to the dimensions of a 3.5" drive...

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

What happened to those?

Currently using 2x 1 TB WD Caviar Black drives myself- which already seem old...

6. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Massive problems with the disks. Solved, eventually, by a firmware update applied to the disk, but when you've got a lot of data on a disk the last thing you want is to lose it because of a manufacturer screw up.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

The Seagate firmware problems extends to its 7200.11 range with smaller sizes also affected. I don't think the size of the platter comes into it.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931&Hilite=

Seagate has had a few goes at fixing this. Hopefully for it, this latest firmware update will do the trick. As it happens, it seems to have inherited the "Deathstar" mantle from Hitachi/IBM and system builders are avoiding its disks for the moment.