Will the next gen MacBook Pros with Intel Skylake be even thinner and lighter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by saintforlife, Feb 20, 2015.

1. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Do you guys think that the next generation of MacBook Pros later this year with Intel Skylake Processors be even thinner and lighter than the current models? That would probably make people that were choosing the MBA for portability now consider the Pro.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

There's a reason why it's called a Pro. It's aimed at a completely different sector.

Besides it's already thin enough as it is.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

They'll come out with thinner rMBPs eventually. After all, people once thought the uMBP was as thin as a MBP could get, yet they proved they would sacrifice a few things to make it even thinner/lighter.

Just wait till you see a rMBP with Thunderbolt 3 and USB Type C.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Oh yes. I had totally forgotten all about USB Type C.

5. JJayguy23 macrumors member

JJayguy23

My guess is so thin it'll snap easier than a Pringles potato chip. *I'll show myself out* :cool:

6. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

My guess would be as long as it is thicker than a headphone jack, it can be made thinner.

So not including the screen, I believe the computer can be the width of a headphone jack.

I'm sure the screens will get really thin too.

I still think Apple can make these computers a lot lighter.

For one, even though metal looks nice, it's definitely adding heaviness.

Plastic (although un apple like), would be lighter, as would carbon fiber (too expensive)

7. pudcraft macrumors regular

While I am on board with a thinner computer; the reason I purchase Apple computers is due to the metal. I hope Apple never steers away from this model. Metal makes it feel nicer, stronger, premium. Plastic creaks, cracks, breaks, and feels quite cheap.

It was sad when I compared my 13" rMBP to my previous Alienware 15", XPS, Yoga Pro 2. The metal made a huge difference in the experiences tbh.

8. redheeler, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No, I do not want a glorified PC for the sake of weight reduction.

As for the other things you mentioned, I can only hope they happen when the technology is ready. When battery life and CPU performance can stay the same, and USB/Thunderbolt ports are thin enough to allow it. I can see it getting a little thinner as soon as this year but maybe not quite to the width of a headphone jack.

9. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Hopefully not, majority of present GPU failures are due to inadequate cooling, making the chassis thinner will only continue this issue. Apple should focus on the features of the MBP and stop turning it into a basic Notebook...

Q-6

10. Woochoo, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015

Woochoo macrumors 6502

Yeah, because plastic is a great conductor to disipate the heat... Apple won't be moving from metal, moreover if they make things thinner which will give less headroom for heat dissipation. And there's still people claiming for fanless Macbooks... lol

This. Making Macbooks a few milimeters thinner will give more headaches to engineers than anything else (thermal designs, battery size and placement to have same lifetime, etc). Plus making a MBP 3mm thinner won't give a plus functionality, but get rid of some of them (less usb ports, maybe thunderbolt ditching, etc). Now come up saying that people don't need 2 USB's on MBP's, as some people are saying 1 USB for all the stuff (even charging it) on a supposed rMBA will be fine...
    I really think that if Apple mantains the same size, we could see more amazing improvements in the forthcomming years (great battery life, temperate MBP's even in heavy loads, etc) rather than a few less milimeters, which would have only a visual impact.

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I never said I want apple to make Macbooks plastic. I was just saying metal adds weight, which is technically it does.

But I agree metal is the only way to go. And the truth it is, the 13" MBPr is still really light and portable.

I love it :apple:

12. lionkin macrumors regular

lionkin

The next gen macbook pro will be thinner, and skylake or broadwell are 14nm processors therefore the chances macbook pro next gen will be redesign will be higher. Remember when ivy bridge 22nm processor was release? Apple reduce macbook pro size to thinner and introduce retina display. Also Apple will bump screen resolution to higher perhaps next gen macbook pro will pack 4k screen.

13. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Can they at least wait until USB C is more common and not just have the one port that does everything? My late-2013 13" rMBP is perfect with two USB ports and separate charging. Not to mention that all of my peripherals right now use USB A. I don't expect companies like Western Digital to sell new cables, and of course USB C lightening cables won't be cheap. Neither would a USB C dongle.

They waited to get rid of optical drives and Ethernet until app downloads and wifi hotspots became far more common than CD-ROMs and not having wifi. I'd like to see USB C become more common before they get rid of USB A ports. Not that I'll be ready to upgrade anytime soon. I expect another three to four years of use out of my current rMBP.

14. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Well, the good part is that you would have a machine that fits the future USB standards.

15. Freyqq macrumors 68040

USB a and c can have a passive adapter to switch between them. So, they are backwards compatible.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Please explain further. How are they backwards compatible if they're not the same shape? I already mentioned a dongle in my previous post and how that likely won't be a cheap option for older peripherals.

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

They are not the same shape, but all the USB A pins are present on USB C, just in a different place. The shape is different and only C is reversible, but a passive adapter will make them work interchangeably. This was actually one of the requirements of the USB C design. So, eventually, you'll buy a passive adapter for cheap or a hub with a bunch of USB A and C on it.

Since it can work passively (without any chips to do the translation), it shouldn't be too expensive for adapters.

18. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Ok. I still don't like the idea of the extra adapter. So I guess it's good that my current rMBP fits my needs.