Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lachero23

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I have a 12-inch MacBook. It looks nice. It fits my needs. But in some ways, it's really kind of like a joke. I just can't imagine how the new MacBook keyboard will go in to their "pro" line. The keyboard is new, but honestly it's worse than the current rMBP and MBA keyboards. When you hit the keyboards and compare them, you'll find the difference.

Second, sometimes it seems slow. It has intermittent slow wi-fi connection, really slow wi-fi connection. Plus, it has the UI lag when I open a lot of tabs and apps.

Third, single USB-C port. This is OK to me because I don't have much data to transfer and I don't have to use many peripherals. But including only the USB-C ports only for the "thinness" of the next MacBook Pro, I'm sure they'll lose a lot of serious users.

Fourth, the clamshell of it is not that durable. I've only owned it for less than a week, But there are a few scratches on the bottom and on the hinge of it, where the "space grey" color turned lighter.

These are the four apparent weak points of the new MacBook. I have the 1.3Ghz/8GB/512GB model by the way.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Sounds like you should have bought a retina MacBook Pro. When I went to the Apple store about a month ago and tried the rMBP and rMB side by side, the keyboard along with the lack of ports made the decision easy. I went with the rMBP.

As for future design, I'm sure Apple will make the rMBP thinner. That seems to be the thing they do now. I'm not sure if they'll go with the new keyboard, and I'm positive that they won't take any drastic measures that severely hamper performance(although any performance gains may be minimal).

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
No one knows what they will do. No one even knows if the next one will be a redesign or internals only.

There is no reason they can't do the new keyboard design with more travel but more stable feel for a thicker pro.

If your MacBook isn't to your liking sell it and get the pro the current machines are great...

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Well, I hope someone from Apple reads these forums. The MacBook and the MacBook Pro are for two different user types.

I certainly hope Apple isn't planning to abandon the business power users. The Dell XPS 15 in looks like a pretty comparable machine.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The Dell XPS 15 in looks like a pretty comparable machine.

Just looked at the spec's of the high end version with the 512 SSD. Pretty much the same as the high end 15" rMBP for $50 more (so much for the "Apple tax"). 'course...the Dell comes with The Mess (Windows 8.1) and who knows what sort of crapware.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Can anyone expand on the differences between keyboards? How is the tactile sensation different, and how long did it take you to adjust (if at all)?

I'm obsessively neurotic about these types of things, and I love the chiklet keyboard on the existing Macs. Honestly, I think the redesign of the keyboard looks beautiful, and I would have thought a flatter profile with less key travel would result in a more enjoyable typing experience. From what I've read online, however, the exact opposite appears to be true. Can anyone offer any insights? I haven't had an opportunity to try it for myself (no stores/resellers nearby).

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Can anyone expand on the differences between keyboards? How is the tactile sensation different, and how long did it take you to adjust (if at all)?

I absolutely hated it. But I will say that I didn't give it much of a chance either. The keyboard doesn't have as much travel and I'll say that there is a more pronounced "click" with the new keyboard. Really though, your best bet is to try one yourself.

There are plenty of people who absolutely love the new keyboard. Look through the MacBook section of the forum and there are several threads about it.

Reactions: SSD-GUY

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011

I didn't have to adjust as I don't own one but I have tried it. It is more tactile and as stated there is less travel for each key. Some may enjoy it but for the short time that I have used it - my initial impression is that it wasn't that comfortable, and I don't mean that in a way where I am not used to it, but rather in a way where it just isn't for me.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Fourth, the clamshell of it is not that durable. I've only owned it for less than a week, But there are a few scratches on the bottom and on the hinge of it, where the "space grey" color turned lighter.
In the grand scheme of things, aluminum is a rather soft metal. A rMBP's clamshell wouldn't have fare any different. I'm not sure this should be on your list at all.

Agree with the rest.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
is it just me or does it seem like everyday we get a new thread with this same question?
You could say as much about the: Is my MBP overheating, how much ram do I need, how much storage do I need, do I need a 13 or a 15, quad vs dual etc threads.

It's just the nature of forums. People come on here to get information that is a search away spoon fed to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.