Will the next iPhone come in PAYG (UK)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, May 29, 2009.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm wondering if it is plausible for the next iphone to come with a PAYG option. My current 3G is cracked around the ringer switch and i'm thinking of selling it and upgrading to the new model. Why not just get a warranty replacement you ask?...because i still have the option of unlocking my current phone to all networks which will fetch more money on ebay. Even though the crack (not terribly egregious) it might dent the resale value eitherway

Getting a warranty replacement means i lose this option since it will come with 2.2.1 and its upgraded baseband locking me out.

Hence maybe i'm better off selling my current phone unlocked and then use the money to buy the new phone. However, i don't want a contract only the PAYG option.

2. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm sure it will at some point.

I'm equally sure it won't be at launch but a few months down the line.

Phazer

3. iTomm macrumors newbie

4. britboyj macrumors 6502a

You CAN downgrade the baseband - it's the bootloader that determines that.

5. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

If you can get a warranty replacement go ahead and do it. It's not as if you'll never be able to unlock it, you just can't do it now. Resale value will be much higher if it's in new condition anyway.

6. pauliphone macrumors regular

I would guess that they will probably continue selling the 3G as a PAYG phone to clear any stock left over. Once they have sold all the 3G's then they will release the next generation iPhone on PAYG.

7. iTomm macrumors newbie

I am sure once the next iPhone has been released, they won't be selling anymore 3G's.

8. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

So the consensus is yes but not at launch which given the last pattern makes sense