Will the next iPod classic be a major redesign?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacTCP, May 5, 2008.

1. MacTCP macrumors member

I am planning on buying an 80GB iPod classic (black) in June. I wanted one to use over the summer which is why I didn't want to wait until the iPod event which is usually in the beginning of September. I just wanted some opinions on if it is likely that there will be some sort of a huge redesign of the iPod classic. (other than capacity/color) It seems unlikely to me, but I wanted to know what you think.

:D

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There's always the possibility it will include bluetooth for wireless headphones, but I think it will just be a specification bump.

4. laxmax613 macrumors member

5. MacTCP thread starter macrumors member

6. Jimmery macrumors member

Wwdc

I'm guessing the iPod classic and iPod nano will be updated at WWDC this June, and the prices on the iPod touch will be lowered at the same time.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I don't know, WWDC is mainly for Professinal(Sp?) things, like the Pro Apps and The MP and MBP. I doubt the iPods will be updated.

If so, it'll probably only be a storage capacity increase.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

More likely they will be updated in September just like they were last year.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Perhaps, but wasn't last year one of the few (if only) times the iPod was updated?

I may be wrong, though...

10. MacTCP thread starter macrumors member

That would be funny if they were updated at WWDC a few days after I got my iPod.:D

11. Cyburnclassic macrumors member

Probably a price drop for the current version in June by £10 ($20) and then an update in September probably a small updates which would make it the 6.5G iPod instead of the 7G iPod.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If it's anything more then a capacity bump, I'll be selling my classic for a new one :D

13. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

There'll probably be a 6.5G this year and a full redesign for the 7G (Apple seems to do full redesigns every 2 generations for iPods)

14. walnuts macrumors 6502

There may never really be an ipod classic 6.5 or 7g. The only benefit of a classic to a touch today is the larger hd size. The touch will likely grow as flash memory gets cheaper and smaller until reaching classic size and replace the classic.

There's no need for a minor spec bump for the classic. It already holds 80/160 GB. I think the market for classics decreases as the size increases. I would guess that only a handful of people really need 160 GB, who would need more? Maybe a price drop?

15. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I will not buy a touch until it is a Classic like iPod. I am an audiophile so i need music and 30GB is just to small for me (See signature) but i want to wait to see price drop or a HDD in the touch.

16. shieber macrumors newbie

Whaaat? You never heard of videos or photos. Half the folks I know have thier ipods filled up. ;-)

17. ttopp macrumors regular

id say no cos then it wouldnt be the classic!!! they may deside to teminate it though :eek: ????

though id hope not

18. shivapashupati macrumors newbie

I want a 320 GB iPod Classic!!!

And I, for one, would buy a 320 GB Classic iPod without ANY worries whatsoever about filling it up! I mostly transfer all of my music music in the excellent CD-Quality Apple Lossless format. As well as pictures, movies, etc.

Truly I would not hesitate to buy a 500 GB iPod. Really!
    (Hint, Apple, hint! Hint!)

19. muldul macrumors 6502

Very unlikely, the point of the classic is that the case is the same ruffly the same design it has been from the beginning i.e. the classic look

20. walnuts macrumors 6502

I don't know if I agree with you both. I have a relatively large music collection (about 16.3 gigs) and a large movie collection (maybe 80 gigs at this point). I've come to discover though that getting ipods to store all of that just isn't sustainable. I mean think about it- you people with large video collections- how long has the video store been out- in a few years our collections will double- what then- terabyte ipods? With all of that, transfer times are a factor. Loading ipod classics isn't exactly a quick task. How long will filling a 360 or 500 GB take? Finally, do you really need all of that on the run? Do you need it so badly to keep replacing ipods with more and more storage as your collection grows?

I've gained this philosophy having by having a 30 GB ipod and an iphone: The perfect size is about 60 gigs (maybe slightly adjusted depending on one's music collection. ) Considering my collection is about 20 gigs now, I'll assume a total of 40 gigs allowing for better quality music as I get it/rerip cds and more as I acquire it. That leaves about 20 gigs or about 15 hours for video. I could maybe use a little more room here too in case they release higher quality videos, but for an ipod/iphone I'm not so sure its worth it. 15 or more hours will easily get you through even a week or two from your home computer.

21. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't agree more. I got an 80 gig Classic about a month or two after they came out in 2007; the only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that it was 80 gigs! I wish they had offered a 30 gig one at a lower price, I would love to have that. With all the space on my then new iPod, I went on this weird thing where I was going to convert a bunch of my TV shows and assorted comedy shows to MPEG format to play on my iPod. After going through several problems getting the videos to load in iTunes, I eventually stopped caring; why would I want to watch a video on a 2.5" screen when I have a 15.4" computer screen for that at home? Plus, I felt kind of stupid sitting on the bus looking at an iPod, as if I was expecting it to do something extraordinary.

22. brendanspah764 macrumors regular

brendanspah764

I have always wanted Apple to make some good wireless headphones. All the other ones are too big and bulky. Maybe something smaller.

23. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

They usually re-design, but now that the Classic is now not the highest priced iPod, I doubt they will. Probably'll turn out like this

160GB - $250
    320GB - $350
    400GB - $450 <-- Could happen

Honestly, i'm waiting for an :apple:DS so I can have a screen to watch my movies and have another screen to play/pause/rewind/etc and search for another video if the video i'm watching is almost done so it transfers seamlessly

24. nlivo macrumors 6502a

It is possible they would add Wi-Fi. Not for Internet access but to share with other iPods. I do believe all iPods (in September) (excluding the shuffle) will have Wi-Fi. They will share libraries with each other, stream to AirTunes, act as remotes. This is the future for iPods.

25. kyen1 macrumors member

I love the design of the classic. It's combination of size, features, control and comfort is awesome.

Even though I use my iPhone 3G as my iPod, I still think the click wheel is a brilliant design and is greatly responsible for the iPod's popularity today. Simple one thumb operation in the space of a small wheel, much of which can be performed without looking at the screen.

In designing the iPod's new touch interface, I think Apple had to give up something pretty great. Even though the screen on the iPod touch and iPhone is bigger than the classic, I find it terribly uncomfortable holding these devices in the horizontal position for extended periods.

Apple should keep the current shape of the classic. It's brilliant.