Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
With two of the three MacBook Pro configurations now coming with 2GB of RAM, it seems odd that the Mac Pro only comes with 1GB.

What do you think, when Apple updates the Mac Pro (at Mac World in San Francisco?) will they up the RAM to 2GB? I realize that the Mac Pro RAM is more expensive... but it sure would be nice to have one less thing needing an immediate upgrade.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's possible but unlikely due to just one model and the price of FB-DIMM. If there's a quad/octo split in the like I expect the Octo line to have 2 GB.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It's possible but unlikely due to just one model and the price of FB-DIMM. If there's a quad/octo split in the like I expect the Octo line to have 2 GB.

I agree with that. Gosh an octo-core mac pro sounds so cool!

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Update might come before MacWorld but I'm sure it's not happening at MacWorld. Macworld is for consumer products, the Mac Pro is a Pro-Machine, I doubt they'll even mention of it at Macworld.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
Update might come before MacWorld but I'm sure it's not happening at MacWorld. Macworld is for consumer products, the Mac Pro is a Pro-Machine, I doubt they'll even mention of it at Macworld.

Seconded - I'd guess it's coming late this year, as professional products probably aren't as influenced by the Christmas buying season as consumer products (that's an assumption on my part - but a logical one, right?)

The reason why they only have 1GB is because they are designed to be BTO - Apple started with a very low, very competent base price and the machine is designed to go in any number of directions from there.

If adding ram meant raising the price, I'd rather them keep the price where it is now and let consumers who need more ram add more ram from either Apple or 3rd party sellers :)

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
The reason why they only have 1GB is because they are designed to be BTO - Apple started with a very low, very competent base price and the machine is designed to go in any number of directions from there.

If that were really the case, they would default the system to the 2GHz processors and/or the 160 GB hard disk. I think it has more to do with the high price of the RAM and getting a pretty good base system just under the $2,500 price point and they felt that the smaller amount of RAM was the best compromise (otherwise, go for the cheapest base config at $2100 and do what Dell does on the first screen of computer options).

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.