Will the next MacBook retina be a lot better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bballaz, Jul 4, 2013.

1. bballaz macrumors newbie

For someone that doesn't care about battery life, will the next MacBook retina be revolutionary?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. DOUGHNUT macrumors regular

Revolutionary? No. Slight increase in performance, but don't expect a redesign

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The biggest change will probably be improved graphics on the 13" (HD 4000 to Iris HD 5100).

5. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

6. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

I would really like to hear more about this, if anyone can elaborate.

I am in exactly the same predicament. I may have some $ coming in soon, but it will have to be spent right away, and I hate to buy at the end of a product cycle. I know that I want a maxed out 13" rMBP + Thunderbolt display but worry that a premature purchase (before both products jump to their next gen) would be shooting myself in the foot.

OTOH, the current 13" rMBP has been out for awhile, so I'm convinced that it's a VERY stable product right now.

7. AdrianC9 macrumors newbie

I checked out the 13" retina yesterday, looked great, but scrolling through image heavy websites was VERY choppy. This seems to be a common issue, now that I'm researching it. This happened on both the 13 and the 15. Non retina macbooks didn't have this.

I'm waiting for Haswell, and hoping that they will fix this in the next mac. Maybe the GPU bump will fix it, or maybe Mavericks, but either way, the product right now doesn't run great.

8. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Do you think this might have been due to the Apple Store demo models being 2.5 i5/4MB instead of the faster 2.9 i7/8MB?

9. AdrianC9 macrumors newbie

It happened on the 15 inch as well, and that starts off with a 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7.

You can Google it and find many reports of this, many believe its a software issue, but either way, I can't buy it until its fixed. Kinda sucks, because I really want one.

Here's a video that shows what I experienced: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uixeNzzJBXQ

Basically, use 2 fingers to scroll up and down, and even though it should be all smooth, it looks like that.

10. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

That video is complete BS. It's obvious the user used QuickTime video screen capture to make that video, which will make the whole display lag regardless of what you do as it takes CPU cycles to do video screen recording.

11. AdrianC9 macrumors newbie

Umm, that's exactly what the Macbooks in the store did for me yesterday...

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

MBP only comes with 8GB of RAM. Either way, the processor doesn't really matter. If this is a huge issue to you, then apparently the issue is fixed in Mavericks.

13. Sandy Santra, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

The fix will even work for "legacy" (i.e., current) hardware?

----------

I'm starting to think it's a browser issue. I don't recall seeing the problem at all when testing iPhoto and iTunes image zooming on a 13" 2.5/i5 rMBP.

14. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I wasn't talking about your experience, just the video itself and how it is a completely dishonest misrepresentation of the screen lag in question. It's a sham.

The only way you'll be able to accurately capture the screen lag on video is if you use an external cam on the screen. That's why all the gameplay videos on YouTube (which aim to show FPS at least) are done with an external cam.

Even better yet, experience it yourself at the store.

15. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Crap.

16. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Considering people are testing it on the current hardware, yeah. And again, there is no 4GB RAM on any rMBP.

17. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Typo fixed. Thanks.

18. tmiw macrumors 68000

It wasn't anywhere near that bad at the Apple Store yesterday, and I purposely tried to trigger it too. theverge.com was only slightly, slightly less smooth, and that was only when using the highest scaled resolution on the 13". Opened all the apps on the dock and used Mission Control and got no lag there as well. The only time I got lag, really, was when I used Mission Control while I had like 5-6 Safari windows open.

19. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Was this on a 2.5/i5 or 2.9/i7? Usually they don't have any 2.9/i7s on the floor.

20. tmiw macrumors 68000

It probably was the 2.5, but I didn't check.

21. ayres, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013

ayres macrumors regular

it will be comparable to when apple went from the first ipad to the second ipad... the first was merely to get it out there and start selling. the second what more what they had in mind.

the same will happen to the retina mbps with the coming generations and those thereafter.

revolutionary? no, but better? yes. how much so is subjective, though.

22. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Apple does incremental so it will be slightly better.

23. tillsbury macrumors 65816

A lot better? How on earth could it be a lot better? Yes, it will have more performance, more battery life, and a few extra bits and pieces, but I'm wondering what you think there is on a retina that needs to be a "lot" better.

There's still no serious competition in the market for a machine 12 months old. That's what I call a really good machine...

24. falconeight Guest

falconeight

last retina update was .1 increase in the processor for the up model and a price drop.