Will the next MacBooks have 800 MHz RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by richard.mac, Aug 27, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

im planning on buying a Macbook in the future soon after new ones are released and im wondering if the next series will have 800 MHz RAM? as i found a great deal on 667 MHz RAM on an Aussie Mac forum which is ending soon and im contemplating on whether i should buy some.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Sorry, rich, no one knows. NEVER buy components before you buy the computer, anyway.

Having said that, I know that my displays and Blu-ray/HD DVD drive will be compatible with the Mac Pro that I will be getting.

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've not seen 800MHz DDR2 laptop RAM on sale. Dual channel 667MHz is fast enough for any of the current mobile processors anyway.

If they're anything like the new Centrino2 laptops appearing from IBM etc there may well be a change to DDR3.

4. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

thanks. yes i know no one can predict specs in future computers especially Apple's as they are super secret. im just asking for a guess really. the Mac Pros were upgraded to 800 MHz RAM from 667 MHz so i thought maybe the MacBooks with follow.

the RAM is super cheap anyway the seller is asking for anything over $2 for a 512 MB stick as a company was going to throw them away.

i tried to get someones attention without "bumping" which is against the forum rules, so i hope i wasnt rude :eek:.

thanks dude thats what i wanted to hear. :thumbsup:

5. Mighuel macrumors member

It would be great if we got Quad Core CPUs and 800Mhz memory in the next MBP revision. It's interesting to see whether rumors about next month upgrade are true or false..

6. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

just found this thread using Google. looks like Montevina will use DDR3 so i might just buy the DDR2 RAM anyway and leave it in my Macbook Pro. should have just searched MacRumors for my answer :eek:.

7. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Montevina supports both DDR2 and DDR3.

8. alecgold macrumors 6502a

alecgold

Just wait until you get the new MB and then buy the right memory.

trouble is, if you now buy the memory in a action-price, you'll not be able to return it in a month orso if it happens not to work with the new MB.

Besides, there is no way of telling when the new line will be available. Showing them is one, getting your hands on one can be a whole other problem.