Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetoness

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
With the advent of the new USB3 C port in the new Macbook, it appears that Apple is finally settling on a standard port. Any ideas if this will appear in the next version of the Imac 5k? Seems like it might be something worth waiting for.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am 97% sure that all of the next generation Macs will have a USB-C port and TB3 ports.

i am seriously concerned they do not pull the same BS an only include 1 or 2 USB3-C ports, given they are only 5GBs.
I have finally gotten used to TB and am certainly comfortable with the magsafe chargers.

On a side note, i am hopping the next mac will have ddr5 vram for graphics, TB3, PCI 4.0. The latter 3 would perquisite the imac being based on skylake, not broadwell.

PS finally, please bring back nividia graphics and Target Display Mode. The latter may be feasible with TB3/ DP1.3 / HDMI 2.0

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
i am seriously concerned they do not pull the same BS an only include 1 or 2 USB3-C ports, given they are only 5GBs.
I have finally gotten used to TB and am certainly comfortable with the magsafe chargers.

On a side note, i am hopping the next mac will have ddr5 vram for graphics, TB3, PCI 4.0. The latter 3 would perquisite the imac being based on skylake, not broadwell.

PS finally, please bring back nividia graphics.

I don't think that they would reduce the number of USB ports on the Mac. The Macbook Pro is another story and open to speculation.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Existing iMacs with dGPUs already utilize GDDR5 VRAM.

Apple used the first-gen implantation of USBC/3.1, which is restricted to 5Gb/s. The full spec USB 3.1 will be 10Gb/s.

I don't see TB going away anytime soon, because it's practically a PCIe port with a massive capability for expansion. I even use TB ports to plug in external GPUs myself.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Apple used the first-gen implantation of USBC/3.1, which is restricted to 5Gb/s. The full spec USB 3.1 will be 10Gb/s.

I don't see TB going away anytime soon, because it's practically a PCIe port with a massive capability for expansion. I even use TB ports to plug in external GPUs myself.

TB3 is coming with Crystal lake with double the speed of TB2 and other features. TB3 will live along with USB-C, just like TB1/2 lives with USB 3.

nlr

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
London

What are the benefits of PCI 4 and why do you want them to bring nvidia graphics back?

UniDoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2014
Thailand
It probably will. But again usefulness will depend on consumer traction so companies would have an incentive to provide interesting solutions. It doesn't seem to benefit a desktop Mac like an iMac much though.

TB has proven itself over many applications but barely gain any traction on the PC side.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
FireWire was a completely different story. It wasn't as expandable and versatile as TB.

TB is based on PCIe, which allows a massive potential for expandability. Like adding in an external GPU, for instance.

Apple has already seen with the advent of TB some of the best speeds for storage in the history of Macs, I doubt very much that USB-C enclosures, done on the cheap like USB3 enclosures, will ever come close to delivering the speeds of TB ones.

If Apple abandoned TB, it would spell the end of any manufacturer ever trusting Apple to support any new standards in connectivity.

I don't think that they would reduce the number of USB ports on the Mac. The Macbook Pro is another story and open to speculation.

I hope your right. If they do this I would not be shocked though, just disappointed :confused:

----------

M295X 4GB GDDR5 in new imac 5k
i stand corrected, i thought ddr5 was to be implemented in broadwell/skylake.
Apologises emphatically (and beats oneself with one's belt) :p

10gbs seems a step back imho,
TB2 offers 20 Gbit/s channel;
TB3 will support PCIe 3.0 and other protocols, including HDMI 2.0 (allowing for 4K resolutions at 60 Hz), and DisplayPort 1.3 (allowing for 5K resolutions at 60 Hz)

Agree

What are the benefits of PCI 4 and why do you want them to bring nvidia graphics back?

PCIe 4.0 here

As for nividia graphics, one only needs to visit the imac forums and read the numerous issues raised with the base retina 5k with the stock R9 M290X.
This inlcudes simple task such as web browsing, viewing pdfs.
The Radeon R9 M295X GPU seems like a massive upgrade in regards to graphics capability, but still seems anaemic compared to the nvidia (GTX 980M) range.
There are numerous comparison-articles, editorials, and forum post dedicated to comparing the Nvidia GTX 980M vs Radeon R9 M295X GPU.
source

the M290X is just a rebrand of the HD 8970M with identical performance. When compared to mobile Nvidia GPUs, the M290X performs a bit below the GeForce GTX 780M and slightly above the Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M. Therefore, almost all demanding games of 2013 will run fluently on very high details and 1080p resolution.
source

Radeon R9 M295X is benchmarked somewhere between a GeForce GTX 780M and a 970M. For demanding games in 5K however, the performance is not enough.
source

Last edited:

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i hope that Apple will never put any AMD cards into iMAC. Nvidia for last years outperform AMD in regards of GPU , and works silence too

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Like Firewire.

Firewire was replaced by TB. Firewire and USB coexisted on the Mac. USB and TB coexisted on the Mac. USB-C and TB will continue to coexist. USB-C is the slower and poorer cousin of TB, but the port is physically smaller, so it makes sense on a portable product, since the current TB ports are a bit too big in Apple's eyes. TB3 solves that problem.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
There are numerous comparison-articles, editorials, and forum post dedicated to comparing the Nvidia GTX 980M vs Radeon R9 M295X GPU.
see here

You just compared a mobile GPU to a desktop GPU. Somewhat unfair I would have thought.

Your quote that the M295X can't run games at 5k is true, but it would also be more balanced to point out that the 980M can't either.

Last edited:

forg0t

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
It probably will but it doesn't matter. TB2 is still faster, so this means there will probably be a "thunderbolt to USB-C" hub in the near future.

Also, we still see more USB 2.0 stuff at the stores than we do USB 3.0, and that's something that is backwards compatible. I doubt USB-C will have much better luck, it'll be like thunderbolt where everything is priced higher to make up for the smaller audience. Then when it might start to pick up, we'll see USB-D, 4.0, etc. Nobody will give it any time to grow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.