Will the Nvidia GPU failure affect my future MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mxelre, Jul 14, 2008.

  1. mxelre macrumors member

    mxelre

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    Location:
    Quebec
    #1
    Hi guys, I will be buying a MBP in 2 weeks for U and I've heard about the GPU failing in many MBP's. I was just wondering if I should wait for apple to take care of this or buy now since the revision I'll be buying won't be affected by this at all? I'm not always up-to-date with apple's hardware updates so I don't really know if this is a problem for all MBP's including the ones they are selling right now. What do you guys think?
     
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #2
    You'll want to wait for Montevina at any rate.
     
  3. mxelre thread starter macrumors member

    mxelre

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    Location:
    Quebec
    #3
    Which is scheduled for?
     
  4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #4
    Nobody really knows...sometime after September. I predict the update will be in November.
     
  5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #5
    Montevina came out TODAY.
     
  6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #6
    I have a feeling montevina will be out much sooner than you guys think. Remember that its been delayed for a while already so all intel has to do is just ship it to the oem and wait about a week of manufacturing and just sell it.
     
  7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

    noodle654

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2005
    Location:
    Never Ender
    #7
    So...Penryn was release in early January but the new MacBook Pro didnt come until February 26th...

    There is also the Back to School Promotion and Apple will probably want to clear their stock out before releasing an update.
     
  8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #8
    So the more/better reason to releasing the montevina now so that apple can compete with other oem vendors and you get a free ipod.

    What better reason not to release it soon?

    Also the montevina has already been delayed by 2 months now and I'm pretty sure in those 2 months apple has already stopped manufacturing or lessened it greatly of the current mbp.

    I wouldnt be surprised if montevina popped out tomorrow or even next tuesday.

    But I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it wont be released tomorrow so that my mbp will sell and then I'll wait the next few weeks for the montevina.
     
  9. mxelre thread starter macrumors member

    mxelre

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2008
    Location:
    Quebec
    #9
    Yikes, I really want the free ipod touch lol:rolleyes: I would like to have the mbp before starting university. Therefore, I'll cross my fingers for an update in the next 2 weeks.
     
  10. ivnds macrumors 6502

    ivnds

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #10
    Yeah I go more for this theory, macbooks got updated in october when I got mine for the back to school special. Macbook pros got updated last year on november. So I tend to think this will happen again.
     

Share This Page