Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsr2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Title says it all. I have an old cover from my last mini (gosh I loved that thing) and would prefer not to buy a new cover. I guess until people have them in hand we may not know, but has anyone have any info on whether the old Smart Cover/smart keyboard may fit the new minis?

Thanks in advance.

sickoagb

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
I wouldn't think so because it appears that the new Mini has larger bezels than before

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I wouldn't think so because it appears that the new Mini has larger bezels than before

The bezels are exactly the same.

Covers are fine. Cases are dodgy since the volume buttons are slightly larger and the camera hole is slightly different and the mic has moved. But front covers are fine.

sickoagb

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2019
The bezels are exactly the same.

Covers are fine. Cases are dodgy since the volume buttons are slightly larger and the camera hole is slightly different and the mic has moved. But front covers are fine.

Nope - the new Mini has larger bezels than the prior models, hence the off centre Touch ID

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
Nope - the new Mini has larger bezels than the prior models, hence the off centre Touch ID

You know that if the bezels were larger, that would result in a larger chassis? Otherwise the screen would be smaller...

Is the chassis any larger? Nope. It’s the exact same size, to the point of a mm.

There are only two differences, ever so slightly larger volume buttons and a new microphone position.

This is of course comparing the mini 5 to the mini 4. Any other mini is definitely going to be different.

Old mini 4 cases will fit fine, but you may find it ‘difficult’ to use the volume buttons depending on the case. And the microphone is most likely going to be covered.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Grabbed a mini 4 smart cover for $13 beats $40 from apple
That's the beauty of Apple re-using the chassis/dimensions from older models. Mini 4 accessories will generally fit and work. I picked up a Product RED smartcover ($8 new) for my Mini 4 that I'll be using with the Mini 5.

I assume that mini 4 screen protector works on mini 5?
That is correct.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
What about Mini 3 Otterbox to Mini 5? Or did they make it thinner going from 3-->4 ?

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Are the volume buttons of the 5 the same size, shape, position as the 4's? Looks like the rear mic. is in a different spot. Won't affect front covers like Apple's Smart Covers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.