will the older mini dvi adapters transfer sound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mdma, Dec 7, 2011.

1. mdma macrumors newbie

i have the 2 year old mini dvi adapter to hook my old early 2010 unibody white macbook to my tv. now i just ordered a top of the line 15" pro and i know that the TB is supposed to transfer sound, but will i need a new cable to do so, or will my mini dvi cable transfer sound with the TB port?

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

DVI doesn't transfer audio, you'll need a TB adapter. I don't even think the miniDVI port will fit into the TB port.

3. mdma thread starter macrumors newbie

i have the adapter that fits the TB port but it was before TB. its the same shape and everything though, i forgot what its called, but like i said it was the port on the early 2010 unibody macbook. same shape as TB but not TB.

4. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The port on your 2010 MBP is called a Mini Display Port.

If you have a MDP-DVI adapter you will not get sounds for the reason thejadedmonkey gave you.

If you have a MDP - HDMI adapter (and the adapter supports it) you could get audio out over HDMI from both the 2010 and the new computer without a different adapter.

Once more for good measure: DVI does NOT carry audio.

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

When did the MBPs start carrying audio over the MDP? I know that for older ones, Monoprice has adapters for about $30 that use the optical out port for audio, USB for power, and MDP for video, and combine them all on to an HDMI port.

6. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Mid-2010 model.