Will the phablet range always be a different offering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Sep 12, 2014.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I know the Galaxy is getting bigger and bigger but maybe at 5" it will stop and they will allow the Note to be the phablet offering?

To me right now it seems Iphone 6 is more the Galaxy S4 but the plus is more the Galaxy Note.

For me I can see Apple offering two different flagship sizes for a long time. Perhaps even better maybe a 4" mini Iphone 6 or 7 down the line. I expect the Ipod touch maybe to go to 4.7" this year too. Again could offer it in two sizes.

Sales wise I'd expect it to be 50/50 on these two phones. Some say the Iphone 6 is a lesser offering but I don't believe that.

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Remains to be seen. Frankly, I would be surprised if the 4 inch goes away in the next couple of years, unless it's evident there is no market.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Or maybe companies will give people a choice of sizes. It's been known to happen.

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

They could easily make a slimmer 4" Iphone to replace the 5C.

5. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

This seems very early, premature, and likely wrong, but I think that the iPhone in 5.5 inches will be the biggest seller and most common phone around in a few years time. I'm not sure how well the 4.7 will sustain, because it isn't that big of a leap from the iPhone 5s, but big enough to be for people who want bigger phones: and people who want bigger phones will likely want a bigger increase than one inch.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

As a Nexus 5 user, I can tell you that is simply not true. It's a world of difference from the 5

7. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

How come?

Still has A8, better camera features, thinner, larger screen, larger storage options, NFC?

It's a massive upgrade from the last ones.

Iphone 6 plus only offers more battery due to it's larger size and generally even the Galaxy range isn't offering phones as large as Note.

----------

People will say the 6 is a lesser phone, only because the screen is smaller.

Even Galaxy phones offer a mini one now.

8. CEmajr macrumors 601

I disagree. Don't let the distortion of preference from Macrumors users deter you. It's probably closer to 50/50 here but I think the regular iPhone 6 will easily outsell the 6+ among the general population. Probably something like a 70/30 split. Just as Samsung's Galaxy S series outsells its Note line despite the Note having much better specs every year.

9. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Don't get me wrong. It's a great upgrade. I don't think NFC will be commonplace until a while from now, though. It'd be an unusual reason to upgrade due to NFC unless NFC were all over now. I don't think it's all that common in most markets yet.

If I were not going to go for the bigger model, I'd be a little skeptical about jumping for the 4.7 because it doesn't seem like a huge increase. The specs aren't too much better than the 5s and the 5s is one of the greatest Apple products to date.

I'm just seeing way more people online be more excited about the Plus than anything else. I know it might be a wind tunnel, but I think that big phones matter a lot more than they did a year ago. It's not just here. It's almost everywhere: tech sites I visit (Verge, Gizmodo), all the way down to Facebook and gaming forums.

I absolutely cannot tell the future, it just seems like the Plus is getting a lot of praise more than the 6.