Will the price deter you?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by turtlez, Oct 24, 2012.

1. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

So basically the 27" is the model that any sensible person will get. I can only imagine how hard it is going to hurt the wallet if you max it out to be a better machine than the 2011 because the base for the 21" and 27" are very underwhelming for this day and age don't you think?

I am needing a computer upgrade badly but I think I might not be able to justify this if the price is to steep to get 16gb RAM, 680MX, i7, Fusion, 27"

Thoughts?

2. Buskins macrumors member

My thoughts exactly. As I wrote in reply to another thread in the same vein; when asked "how much do you think they'll run", I said (and still say) I don't know, but when the prices come out I'll be afraid to look...

3. turtlez thread starter macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I hear you. Also the Mac Pro is gonna be even more and still a long ways off, Mac Mini is not powerful enough, Macbook Pro don't need portability and want a big screen and that external screen would be pricier than the iMac. I really really really really don't want to be forced to go with a PC but things are not seeming good for me.

4. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I reckon the price is going to be eye watering and although the 680MX theoretically is a decent GPU it will still be a mobile GPU. Love the iMac form but there does come a time when the difference between cost to actual value may become to much.

I have a maxed out 2011 27" iMac and it does everything I need and the GPU, for the time being, is plenty for casual gaming in Bootcamp. I obviously would love to have the faster 680MX GPU but every year there's a faster better card. A time will come when the 6970M will become "obsolete" but the plan then is to build a gaming PC rig with a proper Desktop class GPU. My ballpark guess is £800 for a gaming rig (unless I go totally overkill and get a dual GPU set up) which will then enable me, as better GPU's get released, to easily be able to upgrade.

5. Buskins macrumors member

The only upside... and I use 'upside' loosely, is if bought with 3 year AppleCare then reselling it in two years time will net you much of your spent $$ back, making the next holographic retina display subatomic iMac (running on mobile chips) that little bit cheaper.