Will the price for an iMac rise in Canada?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Proteus4, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Proteus4 macrumors newbie

Hello,

With the Canadian dollar no longer in parity with the US dollar, is it possible that us canucks might see a price increase over our US counterparts? I don't want to sound like an alarmist here but could we see an extra $100 tacked on over the US price? Or am I overreacting?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to wait till January for what could end up being a marginal speedbump and end up having to fork out extra because all the prices have been marked up.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I don't think so. We are already paying more then the US. They didn't correct for when we were even with them. So i don't see why they should correct for it slightly lower.

3. Proteus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I always that the price difference was much greater before parity.

4. Proteus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Some interesting stats as of December 8th 2008. I hate that I'm tempted not to wait because a possible major price increase could be looming for Canadians.

http://gouging.blogspot.com/

What was the difference in price before we hit parity a couple of years ago?

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Why not buy one now, not open it, and if prices do go up keep it, if not, return it and grab a new one.

6. Proteus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm definitely considering this. I might grab one tomorrow and just sit out the next few days. I have a Futureshop five minutes away from me so it won't be much of a problem to return it.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Just wait. Either ways, if there is a price increase, Futureshop and Best Buy will still want to clear out existing stock. In addition, when the MacBook's were released, they kept the white ones at the same price as before.

8. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

Doesn't future shop only give you a 14 day window to return computers I think they do.

9. Proteus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, MacWorld is next Tuesday so I could return a sealed iMac by then. I'll check stock at my local store and if they have a bunch in I won't bother but if they only have one or two left, I'll grab one and hold it.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Sorry guys, my vote is YES. Apple's prices have historically adjusted both up and down to reflect the Canadian dollar's relationship with the US dollar. It may not be a big difference ($1299 versus $1349) but it will likely be adjusted.

Remember when the dollar went down to par, we all complained loudly that the prices didn't align. Well, now we're back to 82 cents, and we can't expect it not to go the other way...

11. Proteus4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went in to see if they had the 2.66GHZ model in stock and they did not. The guy I spoke to also said they weren't able to order any more in. Oh well, my idea of holding on to one to see what the new prices were like was kind of silly anyways. See you on Tuesday!!

12. zombie1210 macrumors regular

zombie1210

13. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Price increases wouldn't surprise me. I just bought the 24" LED display. Currently C$999 vs US$899, making it cheaper to buy in Canada. I assume they won't leaving the pricing out of wack forever.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

lol we do indeed, it is easier to count tho don;t you agree? we don't have to actually look at the little numbers to know what kind of bill you are holding,, lol it takes me forever to count money when i go down to the states, and I love the ! dollar bills, makes me feel richer than i am when i walk around with so many of those hahahah...currency is a funny thing... when i go down to Colombia my home country its even crazier... everything is in the thousands so when i hear eight thousand pesos for a burger i freak out (just the first couple of days) then i realize that's just about 4 bucks i relax....lol:D

15. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm thinking the prices are very likely going to increase in the UK too... When Apple released the new Macbooks, the white Macbook actually when up £20 instead of going down (which it did in the US). Since then, the currency conversion rate between the USD and GBP has plumetted. 4 months ago, £1 = $1.9 where as now, it's something like £1 = $1.46 so if Apple followed the exchange rate, the 2.66GHz model could rise in the UK from £929 to £1208 :eek:

16. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

I know, did they lower after the VAT decrease?

17. children macrumors regular

hey, i was in the same situation as you..
    im in australia and the aussie dollar fell from $.90 to $.65US, which is huge.. I was thinking the price will def rise here, and thats why i bought the 2.8ghz imac, and ive been a very happy user ever since :)

18. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, Apple did lower the prices with VAT reduction (The 8GB iPod Touch went from £169 to £164, etc).