Will the redesigned MBP have a 3.5 port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blahbrah, Jul 7, 2016.

?

Would the lack of a 3.5 port dissuade you from buying an MBP?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Probably

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Probably Not

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Not at all

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. blahbrah macrumors 6502

I've been thinking a lot about what the new MBP will look like and whether or not it'll exchange the 3.5 port for a lightning one. I know the leaked shell indicates it'll have a 3.5 port, but considering these machines don't require the same build up time iPhones do, it's entirely likely that could just be a prototype shell.

Assuming the new MBP won't be released until the iPhone 7, it would make a lot of business sense for Apple to completely eliminate the 3.5 port from all their devices released this fall so at least headphones would work within the ecosystem.

I definitely don't want this to be the case as I've invested heavily in 3.5 headphones and would hate to have to get a dongle for everything, but I just wanted to see what people thought about this possibility.

2. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I dont think Ive ever heard it called a 3.5 port.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

Me either. I think of it as a 3.5 mm headphone jack.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If apple does get rid of the headphone jack in the iPhone, then it stands to reason that we'll start seeing it disappear from apple's other products, i.e., MBPs as well.

As a side note, count me in on never heard the headphone jack being called a 3.5 port.